Text: Hebrews 2:1-4
Remember, Paul is talking to his Hebrew brethren, so the we are the same Hebrews who the book is addressed to. They would be unsaved Hebrews who he is trying to convince not to neglect the salvation that’s been offered to them first and confirmed in them.
The word of God is pure. Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. So how can you purify something that is pure? Purifying the word of God involves dissolving doubt in the hearer.
Purified through angels
- Angels were involved in Abraham and Isaac on Mt. Moriah. (Genesis 22)
- Angel involved in Isaac finding a bride. (Genesis 24)
- Angel wrestled with Jacob and called him Israel. (Genesis 31)
- Angel of the Lord appeared to Moses. (Exodus 3)
- Angel of the Lord led Israel out of Egypt. (Exodus 14)
- Angel of the Lord led Israel into promised land. (Joshua 6)
- Angel of the Lord prevented Balaam from cursing Israel before Balak. (Numbers 22)
- Angels involved all through book of Judges, Gideon, Samson, etc. (Judges 6, 13)
- Angel ministered to Elijah. (1 Kings 19)
- Angel slew 185,000 Assyrian troops outside of Jerusalem. (Isaiah 36-39)
- Angel appears to Mary and Joseph. (Matthew 1, Luke 1)
- Angel warns Joseph to go to Egypt to avoid Herod. (Matthew 2)
- Angels ministered to the Lord after his temptation. (Matthew 4)
- Angels told ladies at the tomb that Jesus was risen.
- Angel breaks apostles out of prison. (Acts 5)
- Angel sends Philip to Ethiopian eunuch. (Acts 8)
- Angel sends Peter to Cornelius. (Acts 10)
- Angel breaks Peter out of jail. (Acts 12)
- Angel helps Paul in a shipwreck. (Acts 28)
Purified through consequences
- Plagues in Egypt (Exodus 7-12)
- Eye for an eye, tooth for tooth – the punishment fit the crime (Exodus 21)
- Many Israelites die for complaining about food in wilderness. God gives them quail until it’s coming out their nose and kills many. (Numbers 11)
- An entire generation of Israelites die before entering the promised land because they rejected the word of God to take the land. (Numbers 14:20-24)
- Plague in Israel for fornication where 24,000 people died. (Numbers 25)
- Judges go back and forth under occupation and delivered.
- Kings deal with enemies defeating Israel. Kings deposed and captured.
Purified by the Lord
- Forerunner in John the Baptist who prepares the way of the Lord.
- Salvation is of the Lord and the Lord Jesus Christ began speaking of salvation in him.
- Simeon said he had seen the salvation of Israel.
Purified by witnesses
- Witnesses to the word of God just in the life of the Lord Jesus Christ numbered in the thousands.
- Then there were multiple writers who the Holy Spirit used to record the life of Christ.
- Surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses.
Purified by signs and wonders
- Apostles given visible signs and wonders to confirm the words of God.
- Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
Purified by miracles
- Apostles were given this gift of the Holy Spirit to confirm the word.
- Acts 8:6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
Purified by the gifts of the Holy Ghost
- Then all gifts of the Holy Spirit given to confirm the words of God.