Text: Hebrews 1
The writer of Hebrews is comparing Jesus Christ to angels. Why would he do that? He’s going to make that comparison because of the importance of the word of the Lord that’s been spoken particularly through Jesus Christ. Look at Hebrews 2:1-5. The point is God confirmed his word with angels to the Jews. And if he confirmed his word with angels, how much more ought the Hebrews to take heed of God the Father’s communication through his only begotten son.
Christ’s better credentials than angels
- The Son of God is the last word; hath in these last days spoken unto us by his son
- This parable illustrates the Lord speaking in the last days, Matthew 21:33-46
- Creator of all things – by whom also he made the worlds – John 1:1-3
- Glory of God – brightness of his glory – 2 Thessalonians 2:8
- Image of God – express image of his person
- Power of God – upholding all things by the word of his power
- Forgiveness of God – by himself purged our sins
- Fire doesn’t purge sin.
- Good will doesn’t purge sin.
- Church doesn’t purge sin.
- Faith doesn’t purge sin. (It is a response to Jesus own blood purging sin.)
Christ is better compared to angels
- Work of angels
- People exalt them to have experiences with them, to pray to them, to worship them.
- Daniel 10:10-12 – this angel comes as a result of Daniel’s prayer
- Hebrews 1:14, Genesis 16:7, Matthew 4:11, Acts 12:7
- 1 Kings 19 – Elijah is ministered to with food, water, and rest
- Isaiah 37:33-36 – answer to prayer in the form of warfare
- Angels are NOT intermediaries
- Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
- They can be ministering spirits, not intermediaries.
- Excels them in birth (vss 5, 7) – Psalm 2:7
- Excels them in care of the Father (vss 5, 7) – 2 Samuel 7:14
- Excels them in authority (vss 6, 8) – Luke 2:13-15
- Excels them in his desires (vs 9) – Numbers 24:17
- Excels them in his consistency (vss 10-12) – Psalm 102:25-26
- Excels them in his inheritance (vss 13-14) – Psalm 110:1
Christ’s better communication than angels
- Now look at Hebrews 2:1-5
- The point of the comparison is to show the authority of God’s word in Jesus Christ.