Text: Ephesians 2:19-22
Household is made of heavenly citizens (vs 19)
- Citizenship has its benefits
- Right to vote – This may be a little stretch, but as a citizen of heaven you cast your vote on a daily basis for who is going to make decisions for you.
- Federal and state employment – Christian has a job in God’s kingdom.
- Apply for provision from the state – An opportunity to go before the throne of grace to find help in time of need.
- Apply for a passport. Protection from the country who issued your passport.
- Participate in a federal jury – We are part of the jury in 1 Corinthians 6.
House is built on a human cornerstone (vs 20)
- Christ the cornerstone
- Deuteronomy 32:4, 18, 30-31. Spiritual DNA – defining characteristics of the Rock and the people of the Rock
- The rock teaches you about sin. Moses smites the rock once for water. The second time he is told to speak to the rock. (Exodus 17:6 & Numbers 20:8-12)
- Daniel 2:44 Interpreting Nebuchadnezzar’s dream of a stone destroying the kingdoms of this world.
- Psalm 118:18-22 quoted by Jesus in Matthew 21:42-46; Pharisees understood he was speaking of them.
- Isaiah 28:16
- 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Sure foundation
- Precious corner
- Not built on wood, steel, or concrete, but built on people
- Apostles and prophets
- You know who the apostles are.
- The prophets are probably the Old Testament prophets since we are talking about building on a foundation of men preaching and confirming the word of God.
House is a holy congregation (vs 21)
- It grows. Whoever heard of a building that grows? God is so far technologically advanced than man it’s incredible.
- Man builds mechanical or electrical pumps and we thought we were so superior. But God had built a pump that would live forever had sin not affected it. It’s called a heart.
House is the habitation of the Creator (vs 22)
- Inhabited by the spirit of God
- Growth as a result of being builded together
- Like a body. If there is no communication from the head to a part of the body, that part is dead.
- Together is how the Lord lives in his people displaying love, longsuffering, joy together (ye are our joy).
- There is a devious problem with folks who say they are Christians, but can’t seem to get along with God’s people. If you fit in better with the world’s people rather than God’s people there is something wrong with you.
- Fellowship versus Lone Ranger Christianity
- Ghandi said, “I would be a Christian if it weren’t for Christians.” The idea being that he’d love God if the people of God would stop being such bad people.
- 1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
- Paul’s letter are all addressed to people who are a part of a body of believers.
- Paul confronted in Acts 9 Jesus says, Why persecutest thou me?!
- Colossians 1:24 for his body’s sake, which is the church
- 1 Timothy 3:15