Text: Hebrews 4:1-11
Notice the word gospel in verse 2. This is not Paul’s gospel of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. This is the gospel of the kingdom preached to the Jews as Paul says, unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them. Not only was it preached to the generation of the Lord Jesus Christ, but also to the congregation in the wilderness.
It is a place of rest
- So this gospel of the kingdom has to do with possession of the promised land and rest in that land from the curse and from enemies.
- Gospel of the kingdom (of heaven)
- The physical promises of God in this earth are to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and the 12 tribes of Israel
- Genesis 2:8-15 – Eden
- Abram’s Promise – Genesis 12:1, 13:14-18, 15:18-21
- Physical home of God on the Earth
- Physical blessings the result of a spiritual life
- Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven…
- Back to Eden, no curse, fruitful, God and man walking together without sin
It is a time of rest
- Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
- The Lord made all things so that on day seven he could enjoy all things. Revelation 4:11 …for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. He could physically and spiritually enjoy them.
- Everything God did, he did for the “week – end”, so that he could enjoy it all when it was finished. Then sin entered in. But that didn’t change the plan.
- Revelation of rest. Then he revealed the sabbath to the Jews and gave it to them as a sign.
- Exodus 31:16-17 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
- Rule of sevens – sabbaths
- Leviticus 25:3-4 seventh year rule – year of the Sabbath
- 6 days work, 7th day rest
- 6 years work the land, 7th year rest the land
- 6000 years of human history and 7000th Millennial Reign – Revelation 20:2-6
- The consequences for not recognizing the sabbath were dire. It was a capital offence to ignore the sabbath.
- Jerusalem is given over to Gentiles for the first time in 490 years.
- From Saul (1 Samuel 9:11-18) through Jehoiakim’s third year there are 70 sabbath years that the land has no rest.
- 2 Chronicles 36:17-21 & Jeremiah 25:8-9, 11
- That’s 70 x 7 – Matthew 18:22
- Luke 21:24 times of the Gentiles – the nations that rule Jerusalem outlined by Daniel
It is a pursuit of rest
- Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest… Like the week-end
- What did the Jews have to do on the sixth day to prepare for the seventh day of rest.
- Double work the day before was what the Jews had to do in the wilderness. Gather double the manna.
- Matthew 19-28-30 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.