Text: Exodus 30:34-38 & Psalm 141:2
Composition is pleasing to the Lord (vs 34)
- Offered with a sweet spirit
- Ammonia prayers like the Pharisee, “I thank God I’m not like him…”
- 1 Peter 3:7, 12 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. … 12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
- Genuine love for the Lord Jesus Christ and other people
- James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
- Isaiah 59:1-4
- Matthew 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. These people aren’t praying to be heard by God, they are praying to be heard by men.
- Adoration – sacrifice of praise
Combination is pleasing to God (vs 35)
- An art as in the art of ______. It’s a trade. How does that relate to prayer?
- The more you pray the more you’ll learn about prayer.
- The more you pray the better you’ll be at prayer.
- You’ll learn how to communicate more effectively with the Lord.
- To mix so that one part qualifies the other; to bring to a moderate state; as, to temper justice with mercy.
- Maybe you need to add a little more galbanum. Maybe you didn’t get enough frankincense in there.
- Maybe you need to add a little more thanksgiving.
- Maybe you’re not as concerned with your sin as God is, so some confession is in order.
- Fella said, “If God deals with you during a sermon, make a trip to the altar. If God doesn’t deal with you during a sermon, RUN to the altar.”
- Maybe you have not because you ask not. You just aren’t praying.
Crushing the pieces is pleasing to God (vs 36)
- Thou shalt beat some of it very small…
- Ever think about what it takes to get something good out of something else.
- Shuck it, shell it, crush it, squeeze it, mash it, open it.
- Or ever think about what it takes to make the pieces manageable.
- Cut it, crush it, etc.
- Reduces it to what’s needed.
Consider where the incense is put (vs 36)
- Put of it BEFORE the testimony in the tabernacle…where I will meet with thee
- It was a prerequisite to meet God.
- Praying before church in Corpus. Amazing times with the Lord.
Caution is prescribed (vs 37)
- You don’t take this perfume and make it for yourselves.
- Prayer is first for the Lord and then for you.
- Not aimed at Mary, dead ancestors, saints, etc…
Consequences are devastating (vs 38)
- You’ll be cut off from your people.