Text: Hebrews 4:14
New Jerusalem is a physical place. It’s behind a curtain. Heaven, where the Lord is, is not a frame of mind.
Vail of heaven
- Now only the high priest could pass through the vail. And only in a sanctified and pure condition could he pass through the vail. Verse 14 says we have a high priest that is passed into the heavens. He goes behind the curtain and we don’t see him anymore. The spiritual and physical geography of God’s creation are being described here.
- The heavens are a vail.
- Like a tent
- Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
- Psalm 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
- Isaiah 34:4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll:
- Revelation 6:14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together…
- If anyone passed beyond the vail in the tabernacle, they would die. You understand the only way you explore space is by creating an atmosphere around you that is conducive to flesh and blood. If you were to travel into space without protection, without taking the environment you in with you, you’d die. The heavens are a vail. (This is even true of angels that left their first estate through fornication according to Jude. They could no longer pass through the vail.)
- Three tiers of the heavens: Genesis 1:1, then Genesis 1:6 waters are separated by a firmament, then Genesis 1:14-18 firmament is filled with lights. Firmament has the idea of firmness and strength so that he hangeth the earth upon nothing, yet it is held in its place.
- 2 Corinthians 12:2 – third heaven is the residence of God. Psalm 148:1-4 the three tiers of the heavens separated by waters. Revelation 4:6 – sea of glass.
- Let us hold fast…
- Since he isn’t seen now, the vail hiding the high priest leads many folks to claim the high priest doesn’t exist or isn’t relevant. They say, “I can’t see him, therefore he’s not there.”
- Walk by faith…
- Since the high priest has gone behind the vail, not to be seen, Paul says to hold fast. When the cat’s away the mice will play. When Moses hid himself from the people 40 days, the Israelites didn’t take long to fall into idolatry. They didn’t hold fast. They didn’t wait.
- So the admonition is that the High Priest is eventually going to step back out, and don’t forget that. And, speaking to the Hebrews, you better be ready when he does so he doesn’t have to judge you like Moses did when he came back to the congregation.
Types and Truths
- The vail of the temple is rent from top to bottom when the Lord Jesus Christ dies. That showed that access to God had been granted to all in the blood of Jesus Christ.
- After Jesus Christ returns to heaven the sacrifice has been made for sin. So he tells the disciples, whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted. Point being, now you’re my priesthood. No more blood of bulls and goats, but the blood of Jesus Christ. Take that with you and apply it where it needs to be applied!
- John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
- What is true spiritually will be true physically.