Text: 1 Thessalonians 2:4
God gives opportunity to try your heart
- allowed of God
- What does God want, and how does he get it?
- We are vessels and God gives us things to see how we handle them
- Exodus 16:4 that I may prove them… why not FEED them? B/C God knew he would take care of them, but he wants YOU to know that… I read that and I’d be tempted to take some extra… One in the bag, one in the bag, one in the…pocket…
- The Lord may put something good in front of you, like he did with Paul, gave him the gospel, and watch what you do with it.
- Did it get buried?
- Did it get used for him?
- Did you grow it?
- If it was only the big things we have a good chance of making it. If it was only adultery then you’ll sail home clear.
- In conversation your heart is on trial
- Someone talk about someone you don’t like and the little voice says be sure before this conversation is over they don’t think as highly about them as they did.
- Ever had that opportunity? And said Well, I do know some things are going on there that, I don’t want to be the one to say it, but I’ll just say there are some things going on there.”
- Or have you had that opportunity while a friend of yours speaks well of someone you despise and at the end of the conversation in spite of your cringing you just say, Well good. (God is up there going, now there’s mine. That one belongs to me.)
- There was a man who had a chance to be better than David in his office as king; Jeroboam – 1 Kings 11:35-39
God allows temptation to try the heart
- trieth our hearts
- God allows pressure to be put on the heart by temptation
- Abraham – Genesis 22:1
God warns the heart of its direction
- Hebrews 4:12 judges the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- A sermon like this is like an oil change. David said create in me a clean heart.
God judges the heart by its actions
- Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Well I do love Jesus Christ, but yea I admit I have somethings wrong, but it’s not that bad.
- It’s just a little. All of our sin in our own eyes is “not that bad.”
- You understand Jeffrey Dahmer didn’t start eating people one day. It was months, years of saying “it’s not that bad.”
- Just a little peek here. Just a little bit there.
- Even the devil started off right until his heart moved in the wrong direction. Ezekiel 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
- Proverbs 20:11 – even a child is known by his DOINGS
- WHY? – B/C what you DO is a result of what’s in your heart
- WHY? – B/C what you SAY is a result of what’s in your heart
- Be perfect is a commandment 7 times in the Bible – Old and New Testaments
- Matthew 19:21 – rich man… he’d come to a crossroads of money and make a choice for money everytime. His heart was not right.
- John 14:15, 23 if ye love me, keep my commandments