Several of the points on this outline came from Pastor James Knox of Bible Baptist Church in Deland, FL. www.jamesknox.com He has a great series on the Bible and Mental Health.
1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. So God has a reasonable expectation that you possess your full mind. Would God say this if it could not be done? Why do we excuse this command? You can’t imagine someone excusing themselves from adultery. God doesn’t command what He doesn’t make possible.
2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; If you have liver damage because you’re a drunk, the doctor will at least say stop drinking. He will address the cause of the damage. You ask WHY with physical problems, but not with mental problems. You say I feel sad, the doctor says, take this pill. If you’re a thief, maybe you should feel sad. If you’re mind is filled with bloodshed, ghost stories, and adultery, you may not be able to sleep at night and your blood pressure may be a little higher than it should be. Christians don’t want to ask why when it comes to their mind, yet you have more promises about a healthy mind than you do a healthy body.
Psychology is full of excuses. It is the carnal mind at work justifying sin. It’s almost a badge of honor to be mentally tormented. (So and so singer who is addicted to drugs is battling psychological torment that we could never imagine.) They say the murderer was really a victim because of abuse that traumatized him. Born that way. So what? Born a liar doesn’t mean you get a pass from people for lying to them. What doctor says, “Well, she was born with lung problems”? “Nothing we’re going to do, she was born that way.”
So psychology is a place God said the world has been a colossal failure. Yet, while we claim the Bible is true, we neglect everything God said about the mind. Furthermore, while we call the world insane, we readily accept what the some evolutionist says about our minds.
Grief of mind
- Genesis 26:34 And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite: Which were a grief of mind unto Isaac and to Rebekah.
- Grief of mind because of lost children whether through death or through disassociation.
- The Lord experienced this grief and was well acquainted with it.
Sorrow of mind
- Deuteronomy 28:15, 65-68
- Anxiety, panic attacks, fear, as a result of disobedience.
- This is how you feel when you spend years of your life in disobedience to God.
- Proverbs 21:27 The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind?
- Mind filled with wickedness. Murders, killing, bloodshed, nakedness, theft, hatred, and can’t figure out why you feel bad.
- Daniel 5:20 But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him:
- Mind hardened in pride led to literal insanity
- Matthew 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
- Here is a child who is a lunatick.
- This kind comes out by prayer and fasting.
- Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
- You pushed God out of every aspect and influence and completely surrounded yourself with godless thoughts.
- They become unnatural, which is a description of devil possession.
Vanity of mind
- Ephesians 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
- Vanity of mind that leads to a greedy and overzealous desire to sin.
- The sin is also justified without any sense of guilt.
- Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
- Fleshly mind seeing things they’re not really seeing, the mind plays tricks on itself because of pride.
- Intruding into things they think they see, but don’t.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
- Some people’s minds are messed up because of their own sin.
- Some folks are real victims. And the mind is feeble. They can’t go to certain places because it brings back memories.
- Some folks are feebleminded because their brain is getting old.
- Some folks are feebleminded because the brain never developed.
- James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
- Double minded man unstable in all his ways.
- The catch is he’s committed to too many things and unfocused. Therefore nothing gains traction.