Text: Hebrews 7:1-3
Jesus Christ is the great High Priest, but he’s not a Levite. He was born in the line of Judah. So the Lord Jesus Christ is not after the order of Aaron, but after the order of Melchisedec.
Melchisedec is an interesting figure. There is not much said about him. Some believe he is a preincarnate Jesus Christ. Some make Melchisedec into something that he’s not, almost as though he is a supernatural figure.
- King of Salem (Jerusalem)
- Salem = Shalom = Peace
- King of righteousness (Melchisedec)
- Righteousness is in charge. The liberals would have a fit.
- Order is righteousness then peace (7:2)
- Royal priesthood
- 1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- Revelation 5:9-10 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
- Psalm 110
- Priest of the most high God
- Melchisedec is a priest of the Most High God and Melchisedec lives before there is a distinction between Jew and Gentile.
- The Levitical priesthood was limited to the Jews.
- Priest of:
- On – Genesis 41:45
- Midian – Jethro, Exodus 18:1
- Baal – Mattan, 2 Kings 11:18
- Bethel – Amaziah, Amos 7:10
- Jupiter – Acts 14:13
- Christ’s priesthood is so broad in scope that in includes both Jews and Gentiles.
- …without father, without mother, without descent…
- No priestly heritage
- Levites were the sons responsible for priesthood – Levitical priesthood.
- Melchisedec was not from a priestly lineage. He had no father or mother that was a priest. There was no tracing his family to any priesthood.
- Jesus Christ is not from a priestly family (Hebrews 7:14)
- Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
- Immortal priesthood
- …having neither beginning of days nor end of life: but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
- In the Levitical setup a priest would minister from 30-50 years old.
- Melchisedec was not limited to any age. (Hebrews 7:15-16)
- Melchisedec came before Aaron.
- Genesis 14:18-20
- Lot was a prisoner of war. Nine kings had fought, four one side and five on the other (Genesis 14:9); the prevailing kings captured Lot. Abraham hears the news and mounts a small army to recover Lot. Abraham whips the armies at night and recovers Lot and everything else. It’s during Abraham’s return from this battle that Melchisedec meets him.
- Brought bread and wine like the Lord’s Supper.
- Blessed Abraham
- Two chapters after God told Abraham he would bless them that bless him, Melchisedec shows up to bless Abraham.
- Received tithes
- Genesis 14 came before Exodus 28. Abraham paid tithes to Melchisedec and Abraham was the great great great great… grandfather of Aaron.
- Genesis 14:22 – Abraham considered the tithes he gave to Melchisedec as giving to God.
- Hebrews 7:9-10