Text: Esther 8
Mordecai has been a type of Christ. In chapter 8, Mordecai’s ascension to power in Persia coincides with judgment on the enemy. The prophetic timeline in the life of Christ is laid out in Esther. It’s incredible!
Esther 6, Mordecai is honoured by being paraded through the streets of the capital just like Jesus Christ is paraded through the streets of Jerusalem.
Esther 7, the enemy is judged. Haman is the enemy just like the devil is the enemy and Jesus Christ said, John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
Esther 8 begins the rise of Mordecai and his glorification.
Royal seal given to Mordecai (vss 1-2)
- …the king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it unto Mordecai…
- Power of the king was now in Mordecai’s hands.
- Revelation 5:1-7
Request to reverse the accuser’s curse (vss 3-6)
- Esther begs for the curse to be reversed.
- Now, it will be in Mordecai’s hands to reverse the curse.
- This is a great type of the tribulation Jews, typified in the person of Esther, begging God to remove the curse and pleading for grace and mercy in Jesus Christ!
- 1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
- Give us the new commandment, not the old law!
- Revelation 5:8-14
Reinforce the hands of the Jews (vss 7-14)
- Irreversible new commandment (vs 8)
- In king’s name
- With king’s ring
- Gather themselves together (vs 11)
- Stand for their life (vs 11)
- To destroy, slay, cause to perish, all the power of the people that would assault them… (vs 11) – open season on Antisemites
- And to take the spoil of them for a prey (vs 11)
Results of Mordecai’s reign (vss 15-17)
- Arrayed in royal apparel
- People rejoice when the righteous rule
- Jews had light – Isaiah 9:2
- Jews had gladness
- Jews had joy
- Jews had honour
- Good day
- Fear of the Jews – Deuteronomy 11:22-25