Text: Matthew 1:1-17
I learned that the Bible is God’s legal document
- Genealogy of a king of utmost importance. Is he the rightful heir?
- Matthew 1 is the legal record linking Jesus Christ to the throne of David.
- Judgement in Revelation where the books are opened. (The Law)
- Summons to court if you neglect to trust Christ. Or a wonderful pardon if you’ve chosen to trust Jesus Christ.
I learned that God uses imperfect vessels
- This is not a godly line of holy people.
- Even Gentiles included
- 1:3 Thamar – Canaanite Genesis 38
- 1:5 Rachab – Amorite Joshua 6:25; Ruth 4:21
- 1:5 Ruth – Moabite Ruth 4:9-10
- 1:6 Bathsheba – Hittite 2 Samuel 12:10, 24
- 1:7 Naamah – Ammonite 1 Kings 14:21
- God doesn’t need sinless people for this work, He’s just tying His genealogy to Abraham and David.
- If I mess up, that’s me talking. If I do something God is happy with, that’s the Holy Spirit working through me. Same goes for you.
I learned that God’s family begins and ends with a miraculous birth
- First birth in the genealogy is the miraculous birth of Isaac
- Jesus Christ’s virgin birth
- Reformation won’t do
- Except ye be born again ye shall not enter the Kingdom of God.
I learned the harsh reality that some generations are lost
- There are some missing generations in Matthew’s list.
- When it comes to the things of God, some generations can be lost
- Jehoshaphat – 2 Chronicles 21:1
- Jehoram – 2 Chronicles 21:1, also called Joram
- Ahaziah – 2 Chronicles 22:1 (missing in Matthew 1)
- Joash – 2 Chronicles 24:1 (missing in Matthew 1)
- Amaziah – 2 Chronicles 25:1 (missing in Matthew 1)
- Uzziah – 2 Chronicles 26:1, also called Azariah in 2 Kings 15:1
I learned that God must get man out of the way
- Virgin born facilitated by Jeremiah 22:30
- Joseph was of the line of Jechonias (Coniah) and could never father the heir to the throne
I learned that God’s family is a heritage without death
- Compare Matthew 1 to Genesis 5 – Adam’s line contains death.
- Genesis 5 …and he died…
- There is a “begetting” but no death
I learned that God’s miracles are always attended by critics
- Virgin birth and the complications that attended that.
- Isaac being persecuted by Ishmael
I learned that God’s timing is perfect
- 14 generations + 14 generations + 14 generations
- Fulness of time
- Generation – Matthew 1:1, 3:7, 11:16, 12:34, 39, 41,42,45, 16:4, 17:17, 23:33, 36, 24:34