Text: Luke 2:25-35
Simeon is a spiritual man. Notice how many times God’s spirit is mentioned in connection with Simeon. The Holy Spirit is upon him in verse 25. The Holy Spirit reveals a specific promise to Simeon in verse 26. The Holy Spirit leads Simeon into the temple in verse 27. Then you see the results of the Holy Spirit’s close personal involvement in a man’s life.
Seal of God’s Spirit on Simeon (vs 25)
- Seal of God’s approval is His Spirit. Simeon displayed characteristics of the Spirit of God.
- Waiting for the consolation of Israel meant he had an earnest expectation of God’s redemptive work.
- So much of our lives is determined by what we are waiting for. So much is determined by our expectations. Our attitude. Our behavior.
- Waiting like waiting tables. It is an active waiting. If you’re really waiting on a table, you do everything you can to make their experience pleasant. Orders taken timely. Drinks stay full. Isn’t it frustrating when your waiter stops waiting on you. I imagine God feels the same way.
- Just means doing right; it is justice.
- Simeon is just because he is waiting on the consolation of Israel.
- Someone who fears God, like Simeon, who is looking for the consolation of Israel is going to be like the Lord.
- If we confess…faithful and just to forgive… We sometimes forget about the justice in that verse. God said it was just to forgive when a real confession of sin is made.
- Devout means committed.
- This is someone who is invested themselves in the consolation of Israel.
- We want God to do a work in our lives so that we can then commit ourselves to him. The reality is that God’s work is the reverse of that. Nothing great can be done in your life UNTIL there is a commitment on your part to the Lord.
- Psalm 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
- Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
God’s personal promise to Simeon (vs 26)
- Not everyone gets this promise.
- He had a great desire to see God’s salvation.
- God is personal. If you have a personal relationship with the Lord, there are some things between you and the Lord that aren’t between you and anybody else.
Spiritual leadership in Simeon’s life (vss 27-35)
- Led him right (vs 27)
- Right place
- Right people
- Was cause for rejoicing (vs 28)
- Resulted in satisfaction (vs 29)
- The work of God was made visible (vss 30-32)
- Marvellous words of life (vs 33)
- Blessing to those in God’s will (vs 34)
- Perhaps the only man who foresaw the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ (vss 34-35)