Text: Ephesians 4:29
This is the second time in this list of instructions you’re told to watch what comes out of your mouth. Paul dealt with lying in verse 25, now we are talking about corrupt communication. So what is corrupt communication?
- Gossip (talebearer)
- Leviticus 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people:
- Proverbs 11:13 A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.
- Proverbs 18:8 The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
- Proverbs 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.
- Foolish talking
- Dirty jokes
- Ephesians 5:4
- Psalm 109:17-19 As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones. Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
- God said of the wicked that if he wants to talk filthy then let him be covered with filth. Let him live in it. Let the filth flow through him and reside in his bones.
- Grumbling and complaining.
- 1 Corinthians 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
- Cancerous instruction
- 2 Timothy 2:15-18
- Hymenaeus was teaching that the resurrection was over. 2 Timothy 2:18 resurrection is passed
- Dead teaching – 1 Corinthians 15:16-17… if the dead rise not… ye are yet in your sins
- 1 Corinthians 15:12-18
- Diseased Teaching – eats as a canker
- Hopelessness – Comfort withheld – 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18
- Dirty spirituality – 1 John 3:3, hope to purify
- Less spiritual sense than animals and creation (Romans 8:19-21)
Myth about corrupt communication
- We have to use corrupt language in order to reach certain people. It helps us relate.
- James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.
- You’re judged by how you talk. Your testimony will lose its power when corrupt communication pours out of your mouth.
- You ever tried to listen to a Hollywood celebrity talk? Concerning their physical appearance they may be beautiful. Dressed to the nines. And then they open their mouth and all the beauty and money becomes so pointless. In the same way, we can do that with our testimony and with the Lord Jesus Christ. With a barrage of bad words or a dirty joke we’ve lost all ability to be a testimony to someone.
- Your tongue is your reputation.
- Your tongue is the tattle tale of your heart. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A wise man will show you his works are right by the way that he talks.
Ministering grace with your mouth
- James 3
- Careful with your advice
- James 3:1-2 Be not many masters…
- Learn to listen. You will never say anything worth saying until you learn to listen.
- Fools lead with their mouth. Fools speak before they think. A fool speaks before he hears a matter, Proverbs 18:13.
- Point your mouth in the right direction
- James 3:3-4 bits in horses’ mouths… and we turn about the whole body
- Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
- Notice how encouraging words can help. Or feisty words can ruin the spirit.
- Restraint of the mouth is restraint of the body; it is the height of self control.
- Nothing happens until someone says something. And God said… The most complete form of communication is words. Damnation begins with words. “Yea hath God said.” Righteousness begins with words. “And he believed in the Lord; and he counted to him for righteousness.”
- The media uses words to control thought in the direction of a Marxist agenda.
- Don’t say things you don’t want spread and do say things that need to be spread
- James 3:5-10 the tongue is a fire…and full of deadly poison.