Text: Hebrews 7:11-22
Changes are necessary in the priesthood
- For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (vs 12)
- So that means the rules change.
- Dispensation of grace
- People say folks were saved the same way in the Old Testament as they are in the New Testament, and that is clearly not true.
- The thing that will not change is faith in God’s words. What will change is what God will be telling people to do in the New Testament.
- Law said this, but I say unto you…
- Matthew 5:22 anger
- Matthew 5:28 adultery
- Matthew 5:32 marriage
- Matthew 5:34 swearing
- Matthew 5:39 resistance
- Matthew 5:44 love enemies
Change from carnal to spiritual priesthood
- …our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. (vs 14)
- Priesthood derived from flesh and blood to a priesthood based on the Spirit of God
- Unexpected to the Jews though Paul said it was EVIDENT
- Flesh and blood was limited and weak
- Revelation – Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
- Inheritance – 1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
- Corruption – Flesh and blood would only last a few years, but the spirit is not limited that way …but the power of and endless life. (vs 16)
- Work of the devil destroyed when flesh and blood die – Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
- Promise to draw us close to God, not a commandment – …but the bringing in of a better hope did (make things perfect), by which we draw nigh to God. (vss 19-22)
- Levitical priesthood had no promises, but Jesus Christ priesthood came with a promise. (first commandment with promise, Honour father and mother)
- Hebrews 6:15-16 the promise is the rest, for now.
- Blessed hope, Christ in you the hope of glory. 1 Peter 1:3-4