Text: Ephesians 4:30
Receiving the holy Spirit is an event
- Notice “holy” is lower case, so “holy” is a description, not a name here. It is a description set in opposition to an unclean spirit.
- Ephesians 1:12-13 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise
- Not by baptism – Church of Christ taken from Acts 2:38.
- Except they are receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost
- Cornelius already has the gift of the Holy Ghost (being tongues, a foreign language, in this instance) then he is baptised, Acts 10:44-48.
- After you heard, you believed, you were sealed.
The holy Spirit is the seal of promise
- Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
- Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
- 2 Corinthians 1:22, 5:5 earnest of the spirit – down payment with intent to fully purchase.
- God began a work he will finish Philippians 1:5-6, 3:27.
- Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
The holy Spirit is an identifying mark
- The image shows ownership.
- Galatians 4:4-7
- Colossians 3:9-10
- Marks of the image
- Walking in the Spirit
- Romans 8:1, 14-15 15
- This is the confusion of whether a person living in sin is a child of God or not.
- 1 Corinthians 5:9-11 …if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator…
- Here we get told how to handle the situation. If someone claims Christianity and lives in open sin – “open” meaning unrepentant public sin then the thing to do is not to treat them as company.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:14-15.
- Things that are not marks of the holy Spirit
- A profession is not a mark of the holy Spirit. Titus 1:15-16
- Improved circumstances are not a mark of God’s holy Spirit
- Romans 8:35-39
- Hebrews 12:7-8 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
The Spirit is grieved
- This verse explains what happens to a true child of God when you follow the old man, the flesh.
- The Spirit of God does not leave, but is grieved. What are the consequences of a grieved Spirit of God?
- 2 Timothy 1:7 God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Galatians 5:22-23 – Fruit of the Spirit absent
- John 15:26 – Find another source of comfort.
- John 16:13 – Lack of direction.
- 2 Timothy 2:12-13 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
- Reign with him. Crowns show victory.
- Crown of life
- Crown of rejoicing
- Crown of glory
- Crown of righteousness