Text: Psalm 1
People want to be blessed. Blessed is the opposite of cursed.
Blessed by not accepting ungodly counsel
- You’re not always on blessing ground.
- Blessing ground is going to be described negatively first.
- Blessed if you disagree with the ungodly
- Walk not in the counsel of the ungodly
- Can two walk together except they be agreed?
- If you’re walking with the ungodly, you’re agreeing with the ungodly.
- Psalm 73:1-12; Psalm 73:12 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Counsel is in 73:8, 9, and 11.
- Now, you see the attraction of their counsel. They appear to be blessed. Deceitfulness of riches.
Blessed by not standing with sinners
- Notice the digression. You go from sharing wicked counsel to taking your stand with sinners.
- My unsaved friend thinks the preacher was too loud.
- Be careful to ever take a stand against God’s work, however distasteful, and side with unsaved people.
- This unsaved friend didn’t like the excitement. Not true. He likes excitement in certain contexts, just not about the Lord.
- And if the preacher wasn’t excited, he’d be too boring. Point is you better be careful to side with sinners against God’s work. It’s a lie.
- Preaching hard truths or public ministry
- We don’t think that’s the right way to go about it. Ok, what’s your way to evangelize the lost who will never step foot in a church? How do you advertise Jesus Christ to people will always have an excuse?
- Point is if I held a car wash sign or advertised Dominos Pizza on a corner with a sign, you wouldn’t mind. Your trouble is with what’s on the sign being put in front of people who don’t want to see it.
- Be careful you don’t take your stand with the sinner against God. You say, if you approach them like that or say this to them, they won’t listen. You just took your stand with a sinner and God isn’t going to bless your stand. God never waited until people would listen before sending a preacher to them.
- Ezekiel 2:4-5 For they are impudent children and stiff hearted. I do send thee unto them; and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD. And they, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear, (for they are a rebellious house,) yet shall know that there hath been a prophet among them.
- The point is if you want to the blessing of God, it is NOT where the sinner is standing.
Blessed by not sitting with scorners
- Notice the digression. You go from taking your stand with sinners now to taking a seat with scorners who are critical of God and God’s work.
- Scorners criticize, but cannot take criticism themselves. Proverbs 9:8 Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee…
- Scorners are hateful towards God’s people. The blessings of God irritate a scorner, so it is impossible for a scorner to be blessed by the blessings of God.
Blessed when you love the Bible
- If it were a math equation, blessing would be described as Desire = Bible.
- If you could get people to understand this, they would be blessed and no miserable.
- The law of the Lord that is the words of God
- Meditates – Consumes it and digests it on a regular basis.
- The Bible is meant to be read. Furthermore it is meant to be meditated on.
- You’re blessed when your affection is on the life giving words of God.
- People say, I’m waiting for God to bless me with… Except the blessing is not over there, it is here. And if you can learn how to devour the words of God, enjoy them, eat them up, be consumed with the words of God, you are blessed.
Blessed ground is illustrated
- Planted by the rivers of water
- Blessed is a description of your location in respect to your need. Never far from what he needs.
- I like that the Psalmist says rivers plural
- River of forgiveness
- River of wisdom
- River of mercy
- Bearing seasonal fruit
- …bringeth forth fruit in his season…
- Fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5:22-24. Fruit is born in his season. Peace in time of turmoil. Love in time of hate. Joy in time of depression.
- I’ll never forget watermelon in the summertime in the valley at a rig. Quench the thirst in the blistering heat and a juicy watermelon.
- Or oranges blossoming in winter when the body needs vitamin C. You find in nature there is just the fruit for the season.
- Always supplied with life
- His leaf also shall not wither…
- This life is not a temporary life, but eternal. Compared to the wicked who whither as the grass.
- Opportunities are open ended
- Whether bearing fruit or enjoying the life giving words of God, he is blessed.
- Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- Who has no future blessing
- The wind is coming and it will reveal everything that was fruitless and without a foundation.
- Isaiah 5:24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
- Ungodly will be judged as opposed to judging.
- Do not have part in the congregation.
- Ungodly is temporary and worldly. Vanity as Solomon put it. It has no real value.
- Who will be blessed now and in the future
- The righteous is how God describes someone on blessing ground.