Text: Psalm 2
Psalm 2 describes attitudes toward the Lord Jesus Christ. You have the world’s attitude toward Him and how they will behave toward Him. Then you have the Father’s attitude toward Him and how the Father will behave toward Him.
The world’s attitude toward the Lord is irrelevant in light of what God the Father plans to do with His only begotten Son, who is the heir of all things.
Heathens’ outrage (vss 1-3)
- …against the Lord, and against his anointed… Christ means anointed. And if you are against Christ you are antichrist.
- Antichrist spirit
- So God’s choices are not always accepted by people. In fact, as a whole, God’s choices are rejected by most.
- Raging spirit
- Imaginative spirit
- The word imagination shows up over 40 times in the Bible and everywhere it shows up it is bad.
- Interesting the global anthem written by John Lennon called “Imagine” where you’re supposed to think thoughts of godlessness and unity.
- Imagine there’s no heaven, It’s easy if you try, No hell below us, Above us only sky. Imagine all the people living for today. Imagine there’s no countries. It isn’t hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for. And no religion too. Imagine all the people living life in peace, you. You may say I’m a dreamer, But I’m not the only one, I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will be as one. Imagine no possessions. I wonder if you can. No need for greed or hunger. A brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you.
- First time imagination shows up in the Bible is Genesis 6:54 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
- Wealth and power consider how to overthrow God
- Sciences manufactured to overthrow God
- Policies to overthrow God’s work
- Education to overthrow God’s work
- Break their bands asunder
- They view Jesus Christ and God’s words as hindrances, as roadblocks, as bands and cords that put people in prisons.
- The world doesn’t mind that Islam sanctions pedophillia. Don’t you dare teach children the Bible in school.
- The world doesn’t mind that Roman Catholicism protects pedophiles. But don’t you dare spank a child because the Bible says to.
Heavenly Father’s oversight (vs 4)
- I am glad there is a good God in Heaven that can’t be overthrown.
- Proverbs 1:26-32
- If God’s laughing, that gives me great comfort that i shouldn’t be worried.
- I love hearing older guys in the ministry laugh about the things that cause me stress. All this opposition, all these problems, what are we going to do?! And God laughs.
Holy opposition (vs 5)
- The world had its turn to speak, now it’s God’s turn.
- You’ve forced my hand. You’ve been against me and now am I against you.
- God’s wrath
- John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
- Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; These people are not ignorant of righteousness, they are in opposition to righteousness and therefore God opposes them.
- Colossians 3:5-7 describes their works
- Revelation 14:10-11 fiery, eternal opposition
- Revelation 16:1 vials of wrath on the earth
Heir receives his offer (vss 6-9)
- Yet have I… meaning I have not yet put my king on the throne, but this will happen soon.
- Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
- Revelation 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
- Revelation 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
Hasty orders (vss 10-12)
- Be wise
- Be instructed
- Serve the Lord with fear
- Rejoice with trembling
- Trust the Lord
- Belief is one thing, but trust is another.
- Blessing is in trusting. Even the devils believe in God.
- Trust in the Lord, lean not unto thine own understanding.
- You might believe in God, but you don’t trust Him.