Text: Hebrews 9
Real difference between service and fellowship (vss 1-5)
- Paul makes a distinction between service and fellowship with God.
- Verses 1-5 describes the difference between service to God and fellowship with God under the old testament.
- Galatians 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
- Revelation 2:1-4 church of Ephesus where the service is good, but the heart is not right. Notice Hebrews 9:9.
- There’s a difference between being in the sanctuary – we’re in a sanctuary – and being in fellowship with the God who is Holy, Holy, Holy.
Relate God to man (vss 6-10)
- The veil hid the Holiest of all that was entered once every year after sacrifices were made for the people and for the High priest. All of this was a sign to Israel that the way to a pure conscience before God and fellowship with the Holy God was not yet prepared.
- It was to show that God had no intention of living behind a veil in relation to mankind. It was God’s desire to walk with man from the beginning.
- …perfect pertaining to the conscience…
- The law purged behaviors, but did not address the heart. Jesus Christ, the new high priest making a new covenant would purge the conscience so that the inward man would be right, not just the outward man.
- The conscience acted like a search light inside man. You could smile on the outside while in your heart was hatred. Well, the conscience would point that out. Jesus Christ would make it so that when the conscience of a soul went to work, it would not be able to find fault.
- Paul developed a conscience void of offence, Acts.24:16
- John 8:9 – Woman caught in adultery. Jesus Christ says he that is without sin let him first cast a stone. John 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
- Luke 11:39-40 And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness. Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?
- Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
- Nothing between my soul and the savior.
- Colossians 1:19-20 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
Relying on the blood of the Savior (vss 11-12)
- The word “sin” shows up 446 times in your KJV. The word “blood” shows up 447.
- Everything about Christianity revolves around the person of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
Redeemed to serve (vss 13-17)
- Purifying the flesh is one thing. Remember, the punishments on Israel for sin would be physical punishments in the flesh.
- If the flesh was purified, then the Jews wouldn’t get physically cursed.
- Now, under the law, the priesthood would serve in the ministry in order to redeem the people. But under the new testament Jesus Christ would redeem the people so they could serve without sin.
- His people would receive the promises and inheritance because of His work.
- 1 John 1:7 If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Reinforcing the need for blood (vss 18-22)
- …not without blood… means with blood.
- There were several things different from the Old Testament and the New Testament, but blood was required under both covenants.
- Exodus 12:13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
Remission of sins (vss 23-28)
- Intercessory work before the Father in heaven
- Romans 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
- There was continually a remembrance of sin so long as the sacrifices were going on.
- …appear the second time without sin unto salvation.