Text: Hebrews 10:15-18
Holy Ghost is God’s spiritual pen and ink
- Witness of the Holy Ghost
- Paul gives the history of God’s witnesses to His work in this chapter. Picking up in verse 15, after the body of Christ has ascended up into heaven, the Holy Ghost becomes witness to the work of God. There is the witness of the law, witness of the body of Christ, witness of the blood of Christ, witness of the Holy Ghost.
- Even prior to the full redemption of the body God would put His laws into hearts and minds just as Paul quotes Jeremiah 31:31-33. But he stops at verse 34 because those verses have not happened yet.
Holy Ghost is the last part of the Godhead revealed
- Holy Ghost would be the last part of the Godhead to work in the nation of Israel
- Unpardonable sin would be blasphemy against the Holy Ghost – Matthew 12:32
- The apostles would now go out in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost – Matthew 28:19
Holy Ghost would be the testimony of God that a “house” was clean
- Holy Ghost will only enter a clean place. How is the house cleaned?
- Psalm 51:7 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
- Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
- It’s cleaned by repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 20:21).
- If the Holy Ghost is in a place, that means it’s clean
- The picture is the old testament temple 2 Chronicles 5:11-14. It’s a type of the salvation of a soul. If the Holy Ghost enters a place it’s because it is clean.
- Romans 15:16 – sanctified, set apart by God, by the Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost produces divine confidence to speak of God’s removal of sin
- Holy Ghost would produce boldness inside a man. He would testify that sin has been dealt with sufficiently and now a life could be lived testifying to the work of the Lord.
- John 7:37-39 – Holy Ghost like a well of water coming up from the belly and out of the mouth. (Mouth of the river.)
- John 14:26 – Comforter and teacher
- John 20:22 – Jesus glorified breathes on them and says receive the Holy Ghost. Notice Jesus mentions sins in remission just like Hebrews 10:17-18.
- Acts 1:8 – ye shall be witnesses when the Holy Ghost has come upon you
Holy Ghost would be no respecter of persons
- Shock of Gentile inclusion
- Acts 10:45 – Peter preaching and Cornelius, an Italian, receives the Holy Ghost.
- Tongues was a sign because that’s what happened when the apostles first received the Holy Ghost in Acts 2.
- Acts 11:16-18 Peter describes his ministry with Cornelius
- If the Holy Ghost writes His laws into hearts and minds then ye are the temple of the Holy Ghost (1 Corinthians 6:19). But even more than that, you personally are not THE entire temple, you are a brick in the temple. The house of God is the church. 1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- Heart – Romans 5:5
- Head – Romans 9:1, 1 Corinthians 2:13
- 2 Corinthians 13:14
- If bringing people into the house of God has been God’s priority, and He’s now made it possible to enter boldly into the house of God….
- Here is the convicting thought: If God did all this to have fellowship with you and me, what causes your fellowship with God to lose priority in your life?
- Romans 8:38-39 …shall separate us from the love of God…
Fellowship is God’s priority