Text: Ephesians 5:8-14
Walk in light because…
Light is what you are in Christ
- Ye were sometimes darkness…
- But now are ye light in the Lord…
- Children of the light means your new birth came from light: children of light.
- Walk as children of light… How does someone walk in the dark and how does someone walk in the light?
- Light is what you are if you’re in Jesus Christ.
Light produces fruit
- For the fruit of the Spirit is in….
- We have done a disservice and preachers have done a disservice by saying things like, “People don’t go to hell for what they do, they go to hell because they don’t trust Jesus Christ.” Or, “The only sin is not trusting Jesus Christ.” READ Ephesians 5:6-7 …for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
- If darkness was the work of the flesh that people don’t like being scolded for by God, then light is works that God approves of. Matthew 5:14-16 …that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
- The fruit of the Spirit…against such there is no law.
Light makes the path clear to walk on
- Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
- Proving means you’re building a case for something.
- To yourself
- Aren’t there somethings in your life that you’ve agreed with the Lord on and over time believe more strongly today than back then? Meaning over time you’re more convinced now about this than you were back then.
- Romans 12:2 be not conformed… that ye may prove…
- Conformity to the world breeds a distrust of God. Do you know why people you know get drunk on the weekends? Because they don’t trust what God said about drunkenness. Do you know why you have a pet sin that you accept and invite in to your life? Because you don’t believe what God said about that sin. Conformity to this world breeds distrust of God.
- So if proving means you’re building a case for something, then conformity to this world means you’re casting doubt on what is acceptable to God.
- To others
- Over time you build a case for or against God’s words in the minds of people.
- If you’re not careful, and if you’re conformed to the world you’ll convince yourself that God is wrong and you’ll be convincing others that God is wrong.
Light is exposure
- Acts 26:17-18 – Darkness is part of the power of Satan
- Works of the flesh are works of darkness. Unfruitful works means these works cannot produce anything, they have no nourishing value.
- Reprove the works of darkness
- John 3:19-21 explains this. People don’t want Jesus Christ changing their life.
- Following the Lord doesn’t mean complaining about the right things.
- We have a generation that complains about the upcoming generation because they can’t pay attention and can’t commit to anything. While the complaining generation has yet to commit to thing set up by God.
- Won’t commit to marriage – still shacking up girlfriends and boyfriends. Marriage is something God made.
- Won’t commit to church – still finding better things to do with their time. Church is something God made.
- Won’t commit resources to God and wonder why kids have no respect for what they have.
- Won’t commit time to God.
- Yet we can complain about the right things. The lost forgot about God a long time ago. But it’s bad when Christians give up on God.
- We say, I’m glad God saved my soul, but there are a lot better things I can be doing with my time in my home than making Jesus Christ a priority.
- Because we desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, we won’t reprove darkness. Galatians 6:7, 12 – fair shew in the flesh versus good report of them which are without