Text: Psalm 7
Imagine asking the Lord to save you, but never knowing whether that’s going to happen or not. Point is, you and I NEED answered prayer. You and I NEED to hear from God; if thou become silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.
The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer. (6:9)
Answered prayer requires me to be honest about myself before God
- Confession (vss 1-3)
- The psalm is a congregational song or a congregational prayer. David is the voice for a faithful remnant in Israel many many times in the Psalms.
- God has a right to be mad (vs 1)
- Don’t punish me because you’re mad at me
- Don’t punish me punitively
- Conviction when you know God has a right to be mad at you.
- The irony is when you accept your punishment you don’t really need the punishment anymore. You’ve got the point.
- Repentance means I’m going to stop doing this thing that makes God mad at me. See Jonah 3:9-10
- My weakness (vs 2)
- …I am weak… is tough to admit.
- Not that I had a bad upbringing.
- Not that I would do good, but…
- Plead for mercy is wise. You really don’t want justice. So be careful of the excuses you make for sin.
- My pain (vs 3)
- …soul is sore vexed…
- Job’s soul is vexed with accusations from people who claim to be his friends. Job 19:2 How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?
- Lot vexes his own soul. 2 Peter 2:8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
- Herod brings the wrath of government upon the church to vex the church in Acts 12.
Answered prayer requires me to wait for the Lord to speak (vss 4-7)
- …Return O Lord…
- Neginoth is a stringed instrument. Sheminith means an eighth. This is either the key or the timing of the music.
- Some music makes a problem worse. It encourages depression. Proverbs 25:20 As he that taketh away a garment in cold weather, and as vinegar upon nitre, so is he that singeth songs to an heavy heart. It feeds the flesh. Other music lifts the evil spirit and replaces it with a good spirit. David did this for Saul in 1 Samuel 16.
- Saul goes to a witch in 1 Samuel 28.
- This is David’s depression.
- Testimony about depression.
- Associate not hearing from the Lord with bitterness.
Answered prayer requires me to be on the right side of God when He answers (vss 8-10)
- David’s enemies will be scattered when God answers David.
- Israel’s enemies will be destroyed when the faithful remnant prays a prayer like this and waits patiently for the Lord to intervene at His second coming.
- That means that when the Lord chooses to answer, you’d better find yourself on the right side of God.
- Double edged sword, what is salvation to some is damnation to others.