Text: Acts 8
Choosing deacons (6:1-4)
- Reason arises (6:1)
- Representation of deacons (6:2)
- Deacons represented the pastors when the pastors could not be there.
- Deacons are an extension of the ministry
- Requirements of deacons (6:3)
- Deacons need to come fully assembled, not works in progress.
- Honest report
- Full of Holy Ghost
- Full of wisdom
- Results of deacons (6:4)
- Apostles able to minister the word of God and prayer.
- Ministry multiplied.
Culture of persecution (8:1-3)
Course of Philip (8:4-40)
- Philip the deacon
- Acts 8:1 says all the apostles stayed in Jerusalem.
- 8:3 …they that were scattered… (not the apostles)
- 8:14 …the apostles heard that Samaria received the word of God…
- Philip ends up in Caesarea see Acts 21:8. Philip the deacon is Philip the evangelist. He gave some evangelists, that’s Philip.
- Acts 1:8 …Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and uttermost parts of the earth
- Notice Acts 8:1 and 8:5. Philip is the one responsible for taking the gospel to Samaria as a result of the persecution.
- Miracles being performed by Philip (8:7-8)
- Stephen’s faith led him to be a martyr while Philip’s faith led him to head up a revival in Samaria and to house missionaries along the way.
- Challenged by Simon (8:9-24) – verse 13 shows how deeply embedded Simon became.
- Changed direction from a place of fruitfulness (vss 25-26)
- Samaria was very fruitful, but Philip is then sent south to Gaza.
- Sent to a very influential man, of great authority under Candace the queen.
- Ministry is meeting people where they are 8:35 when they have an interest in the things of God.
- You can’t force your way in.
- You can’t manipulate your way in.
- It has to be about the scriptures. You don’t find people in the Bible who are indifferent to God’s words, but love God.
- He needed a guide 8:31.
- Philip’s house is in order (Acts 21:8-14)
- He uses his resources for the ministry. Missionaries abode with Philip.
- He’s got four girls who are pure and serving the Lord (vs 9).
- God is able to warn Paul one final time while he’s staying at Philip’s house (vss 10-14)