Text: 1 Thessalonians 5:16
The world’s perspective is that the Bible, church, preaching, hymns are boring, dull, ignorant, and maybe something to do when you’re old.
Joy is an element of the fruit of the spirit
- The fruit of an orange tree is round, orange, sweet, citrusy, juicy, and refreshing. All of that describes one fruit. Just like Galatians 5 describes the fruit – SINGULAR – of the Spirit. And Paul gives nine descriptions of that fruit.
- Joy is the second description of the fruit of the spirit in Galatians.
Rejoicing, like fruit, comes naturally when the needs of the plant are met
- Rejoicing is a product of Christian maintenance, as a part of the fruit of the Spirit of God, fruit will come naturally when the garden is watered, weeded, and well taken care of.
- You ought to think about the things that would cause rejoicing.
- Fruit of the Spirit is a product of a heart that loves the Lord, a mind stayed on the things of God.
- Evermore is an eternal state of being. Joy is where you’re headed if you’re a child of God.
- Rejoicing is and will be the natural state of the child of God.
- The Lord illustrates the joy with a new mother giving birth to a son. She neither remembers nor even cares to remember the morning sickness, the pain, the emotions. Doctor says, “It’s a boy!” There is joy, the old is passed away behold all things are become new.
- But your sorrow shall be turned into joy (John 14:20)
- Old things are passed away and behold all things are become new.
- Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Joy, like fruit, can be consumed for energy
- Joy of the Lord is your strength…
- Joy is your strength, joy is your supply of energy. Rejoicing is the act of joy.
- Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Rejoicing is the answer to the circumstance. We use to eat oranges after a soccer game to replenish our bodies. I didn’t eat an orange because I was full and had need of nothing.
- The Bible says as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing.
- Lose your joy you lose your strength and motivation to serve God is squeezed out.
- And you find that you haven’t cultivated any fruit of the Spirit to nourish your hungry thirsty soul.
- Joy is not circumstantial. I’m not rejoicing because things are good. I’m rejoicing because I have things to rejoice about.
- Things don’t have to be good for you to rejoice as a child of God because you can see value in all types of circumstances.
- As a child of God, you know the eternal value of tribulation – Romans 5:3-5
- As a child of God you know the opportunity for God to work when you’re weak – 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Joy, like fruit, sours when the world gets to it
- When the elements of the world get to a piece of fruit, that fruit rots.
- The world will make the enjoyable things of God a burden.
- Have you ever sunk your fingers into a rotted orange?
- You ever gone to get some strawberries and some of them were covered in that white fur?
- I enjoy being with Christian brothers and sisters. And if I don’t enjoy being with brothers and sisters in Christ at church, I know the world has found its way in.
- John 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
- Chinese Christians receiving Bible for the first time.
- Joy is a fruit of the spirit and some of your fruit has soured.
- Pleasure of the flesh is an imitation of rejoicing.
- Mark 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
- Pursuing the pleasures of this world in place of the will of God will make the will of God a burden.
- You thought this pursuit would have some benefit to you, your children. And so you invited the world in. And when the world got in, the things of God began to be a burden. And that fruit began to rot as the elements of the world began to putrify the fruit of the Spirit.