Text: Psalm 9
This psalm is a reference to a time in the future when the Lord returns and all the people will know him, for better or for worse, Psalm 9:5. There is a division in this psalm of people who want to know the Lord and people who don’t. The ones that don’t are called the heathen.
It is meant to be public knowledge (vss 1-2)
- Praise in public
- Praise with the whole heart means David has learned that the things his heart use to be divided over, the other things he praised in addition to the Lord, no longer are worth his praise.
- Shew in public
- Joy in public
- Sing in public
It is not like the knowledge of the wicked (vss 3-6)
- The wicked memories will perish.
- Why is the wicked so prevalent? Because revelation of God almighty will mean the destruction of sin.
- God is hidden for your good and mine.
- The wicked seeks to destroy certain memories.
It is a knowledge that leads to trust (vss 7-10)
- David is someone who is looking forward to a day when righteousness will reign.
- If you know him, you’ll trust him, 9:10
It is a knowledge based on experience (vss 11-16)
- You may know the answer, but you may not know the God of the answer.
It is a knowledge you can’t live without (vss 17-20)
- You understand who you are.
- John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.