Text: Ephesians 5:21
We live in a culture that demands rights. Generation X has raised a generation that eats Tide pods while demanding their right to step on you and steal from you. They say they have a:
- Right to be lazy at your expense.
- Right to kill their child at your expense.
- Right to healthcare at your expense.
- Right to perversion at your expense. Gender reassignment surgery.
Now, consider what a church would become if God told everyone to gather together and demand their rights.
Submission because God said so
- …in the fear of God… So submission to one another is because God said so.
- Submitting yourselves to one another because they are always right. No.
- Submitting yourselves to one another because they never make mistakes. No.
- Submitting one to another because of your relationship to the Lord.
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. We say our “understanding” is better therefore I have a RIGHT to impose myself.
- Your relationship with God is seen in your relationship to God’s people.
- Haven’t you invited someone to church because of your relationship with the Lord?
- Do you know the reason I took my wife to a Bible believing church after we got married was because of my relationship to God? Do you know why my kids come to church with me while they’re under my roof is because of my relationship with God? Do you understand me being a pastor and not working in the oilfield is because of my relationship with God?
- 1 John 4:20-21 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
Submission because Jesus Christ submitted himself
- The Lord Jesus Christ humbled himself (Philippians 2:5-8.)
- If he could, who do you think you are not to?
Submission because it will keep you out of trouble
- Drivers sometimes have the right of way and you have to YIELD otherwise there will be a wreck.
- 3 John 9-10 Diotrephes
- If you’re determined to impose your will on the congregation, it will cause trouble in the church.
- If you’re determined to impose your will on the congregation, it will get you in trouble with God.
Submission so you aren’t broken under the truth
- Yielded so God can work with you instead of hardened in pride so that you are broken.
- Heat the metal and shape it according to what it will be used for.
- Take a husband who is supposed to be a type of Christ. He doesn’t care about that truth so he lives his life and marriage by his own will. He parents by his own will. Then can’t pinpoint why his marriage is broken, his children are broken, he is broken. The real trouble is when someone is so caught in pride they look at the broken pieces and stand their ground.
- Take a Christian ina congregation who won’t yield.
- The good news is if you’ll yield, and God has the ability to heat that metal back up, He can go back to molding into the instrument He wants.
Submission so you can grow
- This is why you can’t have church by yourself. You can’t serve God by yourself. You can’t be filled with the Spirit of God and forsake assembling where two or more are gathered.
- God set up the gatherings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ so that people would be edified by each other.
- Learn from others
- Service to the congregation