Text: Hebrews 11:7
- Abel was confirmed to be righteous and then was killed by his brother because of his faith.
- Enoch was taken away and never saw death because of his faith.
- Noah will survive judgment as a result of his faith.
Don’t miss the boat
Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
- Being warned of things not seen as yet…
- Noah believed God about something he’d never seen before.
- It’s a possibility that it had never rained before on the earth according to Genesis 2:5, but the earth had certainly never flooded like this before.
- You believe in Hell? You’ve never seen it. Nobody living has seen Hell. But it’s sure been talked about.
- People say, I can’t believe in a God who would be so judgmental. But what about God’s perspective? God’s perspective of generations producing generation after generation who don’t know God, don’t care to know God, and end up in Hell when they die.
Faith motivated Noah
- Moved with fear because of God’s weather forecast.
- Genesis 6:1-3 is God’s warning that He will destroy the world in 120 years.
- So Noah put to practice (practical) his faith.
- Let me illustrate something about us: Does the government lie to you? Does the weatherman get it wrong sometimes? But you know if the government says bored up and leave town because a hurricane is coming you’ll board up and either leave town or start storing water. I’m not saying that’s bad, but I’m illustrating the point. We are more in tuned with the warnings from people we know lie or at least get it wrong than we are with a God we say CANNOT lie.
- Noah’s faith put in practice what was NEEDED. We see God’s words as options and suggestions, and it scares me to think about disobeying God and finding out one day how much I actually NEEDED to move on faith.
- Mt. Everest @ 29,029’ is the tallest. Bible says mountains were covered plus 15 cubits (18” = cubit). If sea level is what it is today, you have a total water depth of 29,052’. 40 days and 40 nights equal 960 hours. So 29,052’ of water over 960 hours equals a little over 30’ of rain and water an hour. Or water level rising at a rate of 6” every minute.
- When the rain begins everyone knew what they NEEDED, but it was too late. The pressure and the violence of the water would create lasting imprints of animals known as fossils. Canyons would be created in days, not millions of years.
- Stuck to it for 120 years because of his faith
- Hammering on one message because of his faith
Faith magnified the world’s guilt
- …by which he condemned the world…
- People want the effects of God’s work – survive the flood – but they don’t want God telling them what to do with their lives – build an ark.
- And they didn’t want to be told to build an ark because they didn’t want to believe that God was going to judge them for their sin.
- Noah’s abnormal lifestyle was based on what God said – REMEMBER THAT. It would be ridiculed, mocked, and ignored.
- People don’t see godliness as practical.
- 1 Timothy 4:8 … godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
- People going about their daily lives without any regard for God, Matthew 24:37-39. That is the definition of ungodly – without God.
- 2 Peter 2:5 bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly…
- I can hear them trying to talk Noah out of things.
- Noah, if you keep working on that boat, your kids are going to miss out on so much.
- Noah, if you keep working on that boat, how are you going to take care of your family?
- Noah, if you keep working on that boat you’ll never have any fun. You’ll never enjoy life.
- It’s not like Noah didn’t want to enjoy life, or didn’t want his kids to live normal lives, or didn’t want to enjoy family life. He knew whatever happened is only temporary and ultimately condemned if he didn’t make his life different for a period of time.
- For a while after these school shootings there were folks praying for others. But recently we’ve seen people finally mocking prayers. I saw a sign that said we don’t want your prayers, we want your guns, or something to that effect.
- 50 years ago, the government decided it didn’t want God to have anything to do with our children’s education. And now we can’t keep kids from shooting other kids in our schools. They don’t want a God telling them, “thou shalt not kill”, because that would be judgmental. But they want the violent to dwell with the violent in harmony.
- They have something against a God that says, “thou shalt not commit adultery”, but they want adulterers to live in peace with other adulterers.
- They have something against a God that says, “thou shalt not bear false witness”, but they want liars to enjoy each other’s company while lying to each other’s faces.
- People want the effects of God’s work, but don’t want God anywhere near them. They don’t see godliness as practical.
- People want to survive the flood but they don’t want a God telling them to build an ark.
Faith makes righteous
- … became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
- There are other forms of righteousness.
- A certain righteousness by the law that man creates for himself.
- Self righteousness that man proclaims for himself.
- But only one type of righteousness that is received from God. Philippians 3:8-9 … And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: