Text: Ephesians 5:22-32
Marriage is a picture of the physical provisions made in salvation. The Spirit filled marriage relationship is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ and his physical provision to his bride. I don’t mean physical in a sexual way. Jesus Christ became a man to make physical provision for his church. Notice verse 5:23, he is the savior of the body. 5:28 to love their wives even as their own bodies. 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh. 5:30 we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 5:31 they two shall be one flesh. 5:25 and gave himself for it. What did he give? His body. 5:26 cleanse it with the washing of water; some things are purified with fire, but flesh is not one of them. Flesh is purified with water.
Marriage is a picture of physical salvation
- Romans 7:17-25
- Galatians 5:19-21
- 1 Corinthians 15:50 – but my soul will have no physical form to put on if someone doesn’t make some “clothes” for it. So Jesus Christ makes physical provision for anyone who will have Him.
- Philippians 3:20-21
- Now in a similar way, a marriage is a relationship where a man says I will physically care for and provide for you if you will be my wife. He OFFERS to be her head. You take my name, I provide for you and take care of your needs if you’ll be my wife. He gets down on one knee and asks her if she’ll choose him.
- As far as physically providing for her, he gives his body to a SERVICE in exchange for provisions for his wife.
- Now, I won’t provide and take care of your needs if you want to be his wife.
Marriage is a voluntary exchange
- Wives: What makes a girl become a wife? So wife is not a relationship a woman has with a church. It’s not a relationship she has with her employer. It’s a relationship she’s CHOSEN to have with a man. And do you choose to become his wife or were you forced into it? You choose this relationship.
- God works in conjunction with your will. This is how he exercises headship.
- Colossians 2:18-19 the Head communicates with the body and the body doesn’t respond. Or the body does things that the Head isn’t telling it to do. You’d call a doctor!
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 – bought with a price, therefore glorify God in body and spirit. 1 Corinthians 11:23-32 is all about the physical body of Jesus Christ. Christians can’t discern that their body is bought with a price and keep trying to find another head.
- In a marriage it looks like this. Two people get married. She finds an old flame on Facebook. They begin to talk. They begin to spend time together. Her husband finds out. He stops providing for his wife. “Hey, you want to rekindle an old flame? Fine, he can pay for you then.” He cuts off provisions he’s made for her. Now apply that to the Christian life.
- Christian doesn’t accept that they are a member of the body of Christ. They join themselves to another head. And now the physical provision begins to be exacted because the Christian wouldn’t discern that his mouth was Jesus Christ’s mouth. That his hands and feet belonged to Jesus Christ.
Marriage is a relationship
- Marriage is a relationship. You say, “Duh.” I mention it’s a relationship because people enter into it thinking nothing has changed and they can go about living their own life as they did before. A lady thinks she can get what she wants to out of him, and also continue to live how she wants to. A man thinks he can get what he wants to out of her and continue to live his own life.
- People do the same thing with the Lord Jesus Christ. They say, I want your physical salvation so I don’t go to Hell, but I also want to actively look for another head while we’re married.
- The church already has a head. She’s not looking for another head.
- Colossians 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
- Colossians 2:10-15 His headship is tied to the physical provision he made for his people.
- People today say, We just want to live together so it won’t cost as much.
- What you have then is a man who wants the benefits of a marriage relationship without the responsibility of the marriage. If he’s unwilling to provide, then he’s not marriage material.
- Matthew 22:23-33 Who wife shall she be in the resurrection? At the resurrection, all physical needs are met. There is no more death. No more threat of death. So the marriage picture of physical salvation has no significance anymore.