Text: 1 Thessalonians 5:23
The Lord wants a Christian to be blameless through and through. You are made up of three parts; a body, soul, and spirit. You know this, but maybe haven’t thought about it this way. You have conversations in your head. One voice says do this. Another voice says, don’t do this. And you consider the voices and make a decision. Sometimes you put a smile on your face while inside you are angry. So you know there is more to you than what you see. And you know that what you see is corrupt. God didn’t make your body corrupt, but sin did.
This may take more than one sermon, but we’re going to go through these three parts of you, what they are, and how they can be blameless before God.
Body is the tabernacle
- 2 Corinthians 5:1, 4 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens….4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
- 2 Peter 1:13-15 Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me. Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
- Body is the most complicated tabernacle ever made.
- Formed man of the dust of the ground (Genesis 2:7). Physical form. Everything you can see about you, the x-rays, MRIs, the outer appearance is your form.
- Technology making drones and robots and artificial intelligence, while fascinating, are so far from what God formed out of dirt 6000 years ago.
- Fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)
Body is an interactive tabernacle
- It is how you experience the world.
- It’s nature is physical.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- The part of you that is made up of the same thing nature is made up of, elements, made up of physical elements is not the part of you that understands the things of the Spirit.
- Your body experiences the world through five senses; it is sensual.
Body is a consumer
- Your body is a consumer, it burns energy, it eats, it craves, and so it can never be satisfied because it’s constantly consuming.
- Ecclesiastes 1:8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
- This is called lust and pride. All that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life
Body is under a curse
- It is destined to be abandoned, to die. Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
- Philippians 3:20-21
- 1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
- Tabernacle is incurably corrupt and destined to abandoned in time.
- Romans 7:17-25
- Galatians 5:19-21
- It is no surprise that when the body is exalted through images, Hollywood, the mindset that builds that business around exaltation of the body is devilish. Christians say Hollywood puts out anti-God, anti-Christian philosophies. Of course. When you promote the flesh, you promote the things of the flesh. Adultery, fornication, witchcraft…etc.
Body has its own thoughts
- Carnal mind does not consider that it is wrong
- Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
- Sin had to be exposed because it is so deceptive (8:12-14)
- Law is holy, just, and good. It isn’t the cop’s fault the criminal’s life is ruined.
- So the thoughts, concerns, demands of your physical body are what God calls the carnal mind. You don’t recognize these thoughts as carnal though. You just think them.
- But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
- The law also awakens sin – sin, taking occasion by the law (8:8-11)
- Because of sin’s nature, that it has no “white flag” and any appearance of a surrender is only to gain the advantage. Sin has no ability to surrender.
- That’s the temptation to touch when you’re told not to. When children are told don’t touch and they give you the look to see what you’ll do, you’re looking at sin working.
- sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me
- Carnal psychology a colossal failure (Ephesians 4:17-24)
- Vanity of their mind… (vs 17)
- So psychology is a place God said the world has been a colossal failure. Yet, while we claim the Bible is true, we neglect everything God said about the mind. Furthermore, while we call the world insane, we readily accept what the some evolutionist says about our minds. What some psychologist, who believes the Bible is the most absurd book ever written, yet we take his word for his diagnosis of our mind and his prescription for what needs to be fixed in our mind.
- Confusion…having the understanding darkened… (vs 18)
- If you have liver damage because you’re a drunk, the doctor will at least say stop drinking. He will address the cause of the damage. If you show signs of lung cancer and you’re a smoker, the doctor will say you’ve got to stop smoking. You ask WHY with physical problems, but not with mental problems. You say I feel sad, the doctor says, take this pill.
- If you’re a thief, maybe you should feel sad. If you’re mind is filled with bloodshed, ghost stories, and adultery, you may not be able to sleep at night and your blood pressure may be a little higher than it should be.
- Psychology has become an excuse factory.
- Born that way. So what? Born a liar doesn’t mean you get a pass from people for lying to them. What doctor says, Well, she was born with lung problems. Nothing we’re going to do, she was born that way.
- Dead mind
- Alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them… (vs 18)
- Troubled mind because they don’t possess life giving knowledge of God. And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free. Otherwise, you’ll not know the truth, you’ll know lies, and they shall put you in bondage.
- Maybe you have too much of the wrong kind of knowledge. You can’t put evil knowledge in your mind without it short circuiting your thoughts; without it coming out in some form.
Body is a violent enemy of God
- Blood shed was necessary for redemption because sin was in the body
- Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
Body that is blameless
- Colossians 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
- The circumcision made without hands is not the Holy Spirit in OR scrubs preparing to do surgery on your soul. It is done without hands and with the word of God (Hebrews 4:12).
- Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Notice how Paul even after almost 30 years of being saved still says, O wretched man that I am!
- Deliverance from the body is the day of redemption
- Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
- Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
- Ephesians 4:30 – day of redemption
- Romans 8:22-23 – adoption, day of redemption
- Romans 6:12-14 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.