Text: Psalm 15
God’s house has rules.
David is speaking of God’s literal tabernacle and the rules God had for his house. Jesus said one time that the religious leaders had made his Father’s house a den of thieves. And consequently God had abandoned his tabernacle.
The Lord is not looking for someone to come up with a new way of doing things; with a new set of rules to go by. The Lord already has a house. He invites you to be a part of it. And He doesn’t need you to figure out how to do things better with His house. All you’re responsible for is to abide in His house according to the rules He’s laid down.
Someone who isn’t going to get the house dirty (vs 2)
- Walk uprightly and don’t creep around
- Walk uprightly and you won’t have anything to hide.
- But if you’re creeping around it’s because you don’t want the homeowner to know what’s going on.
- Worketh righteousness
- Speaketh truth in his heart
Someone whose language is clean (vs 3)
- Controls his tongue
- Spreading rumors to the glory of God?!
- Does evil to his neighbor
- Taketh up a reproach against his neighbor
Someone who has the right associations (vs 4)
- Contemns vile people
- Honour them that fear God
Someone who is generous and will not take advantage (vss 4-5)
- Puts himself on the line if his word is no good
God’s house is the only unshakeable thing on this earth. One day, God is going to shake up everything. And whatever does not belong in His house will fall.