Text: 1 Timothy 3:5
Rule of fatherhood
- Rule means to take care of something according to this verse. If the man can’t take care of his own house, then it shows an inability to take care of God’s house.
- An eight year old boy lay in a hospital bed, dying of cancer. He knew it wouldn’t be long. His dad came in the room and sat by his son. The boy sensing it wouldn’t be long now said, “Daddy, am I going to die?” The dad asked, “Why son? Are you afraid?” The boy said, “No, not if God is anything like you.”
Responsibility of fatherhood
- Home as a training ground.
- Home is the most natural place for care and love.
- If you won’t take care of your family, or won’t bother to learn how to do it God’s way – God created the family and He has the instruction manual – then responsibility to take care of folks you wouldn’t naturally love doesn’t even enter the equation.
- You didn’t create fatherhood. God created fatherhood. The standard for fatherhood comes from God.
- Just like the standard measurements didn’t come from you. However if you apply them right, something good can be built.
- If you apply them sloppily, then you’ll build something crooked or unstable.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12
- Exhorted to walk worthy of God.
- To urge on to walk worthy of God.
- Ford dealer who drives a Chevy.
- Comforted to walk worthy of God
- Nothing against Mom here, but you expect Mom to coddle you if you’re in pain. But there is something about Dad saying it’s going to be OK.
- You need to know that serving the Lord is going to be OK.
- You’re kids need to know that seeking the kingdom of God and his righteousness is safe. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added.
- Comfort is very much like confidence.
- Charged to walk worthy of God
- You remember those movies with the guy at the front of the army on the horse? His army behind him and the enemy in front of him. He raises his hand and says, Charge!
- Now, charge is energy pointed in a direction. That’s impossible to do if you’re going to lead the charge from somewhere else.
Reward of more stewardship
- If… how shall he take care of the church of God?
- So if he’s able to take care of his own house well, then it’s a qualifier for him to take on more responsibilities.
- Luke 19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. Stewardship not of sinners, but of saved people of God.