Text: Hebrews 11:29 & Exodus 14
Hebrews 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
Faith that looks precarious
- Exodus 14:1-4
- God’s apparently precarious plan
- Israel is led into the wilderness to make it look like they have been entangled in the land.
- Instead of taking a direct route out of Egypt, they head south. They appear to Pharaoh as a large group of people who don’t know where they are going and are now trapped by the land.
- They are caught in a large valley with the sea in front of them.
- Israel must be willing to go along with what looks like a precarious plan.
- God knows Pharaoh’s heart is set to keep Israel as slaves. He has no intention of letting anyone go. So the Lord instructs Israel to camp in such a way as to appear lost in the wilderness, and entangled in the land (Exodus 14:4).
Faith that hardens the enemy
- Exodus 14:5-9
- Hardening of Pharaoh’s heart happened this way contrary to what Calvinists or fatalists think. God doesn’t control Pharaoh’s heart, but He knows what does control Pharaoh’s heart.
- God has Israel wander in the wilderness instead of directly leaving Egypt. He does this to entice Pharaoh and draw out of Pharaoh what was already in Pharaoh.
- Isn’t that how the world looks at God’s people trying to serve God? To the world it looks like they got some bad information and are headed for defeat.
- God’s people trying to serve God always look weak and foolish to the world.
- 1 Corinthians 1:27-29 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.
- The enemy is set up for the kill by the faith of Moses.
By the faith of one man
- Exodus 14:10-14
- They may not have the faith, but if they at least follow the man with faith, they’ll get the victory.
Faith to make use of what’s in your hand
- Exodus 14:15-18
- The next step is in your hand
- Faith to take the next step and quit waiting on God
Faith to move forward and not worry about what’s behind you
- Exodus 14:19-22
Faith to make the wheels come off
- Exodus 14:23-25
- Hebrews 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
- Assay: To try or prove, by examination or experiment, the quantity and purity of metallic substances.
Faith is the victory
- Exodus 14:26-31