Text: Ephesians 6:10
Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
- The wiles of the devil…
- Your enemy, who is the god of this world, who was once a cherub, has deceived and will deceive a multitude of the angelic host. Lucifer has been able to convince an angelic group of beings who have seen God, been in the presence of His glory, experienced life in perfection, he’s been able to convince them to give all that up. He first convinced himself of this.
- The only flesh and blood that has power with God the Father is the body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Because in that body the enemy was overcome. That enemy has defeated every other person in this world except one.
- Look in Ezekiel 28:13-17
- Verse 13 says that the devil was decked out. You think a lady with diamond earrings and diamond ring is decked out? The devil had every jewel, every precious stone as his covering. He had rings on his fingers, he had cufflinks, lapel pins, he had bedazzled sunglasses, he had more bling than anybody created. And then he could sing too. He had a golden voice.
- Multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence.
- Merchandise: The objects of commerce; wares, goods, commodities, whatever is usually bought or sold in trade. The desire for the merchandise made him an aggressive violent being. The lust for commercial objects drove a wedge between the devil and the glory of God. Satan valued merchandise more than the glory of God.
- The love of money is the root of all evil.
- Spend more on merchandise than ministry, then you value merchandise more than the glory of God, you’re living by the devil’s standards.
- Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty…
- Lucifer took a look at himself and thought his physical attributes made him more worthy. He thought his beauty made him more valuable. He thought his beauty made him something he was not.
- If you can’t find a way to give to missions because you’re beauty products and gym membership are tying up your resources then your heart is aligned with the way the devil thinks.
- Failure of the foe
- Thou wast created… (vss 13, 15) He was blinded from the truth that the source of his physical attributes was his Creator.
- He believed that his life consists in the things which he possessed.
- Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
The source of the devil’s strength was the Lord, but he forgot that.
So the Lord would show up several times and prove that the true source of power was not in possessions, it was always the Lord.
- Exodus 15:2 is the first time the Bible says the Lord is someone’s strength. Israel has just left Egypt after the plagues and crossing the Red Sea. Egypt was physically far superior to Israel, but weak toward God. Israel had no physical advantage, but their strength was the Lord.
- Jericho in Joshua 6
- Gideon’s 300 caused 120,000 Midianite soldiers to kill each other in one night. Judges 7-8
- Nehemiah 8:10 what makes God happy is your motivation. Nehemiah tells the people this is a day the Lord has set aside as a rest and a joy. Let’s enjoy what makes God happy.
- Strong in the Lord. Luke 2:40 says Jesus grew strong in the spirit during his childhood. So childhood is a time to be utilized for the Lord. If you were to rank among your priorities for your children, where does being strong in the Lord come in?
- 1 Corinthian 2:4-5 says Paul did not try to entice or entertain because he didn’t want there to be any confusion in the Corinthians’ faith.
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-6
- You don’t have to figure out where thoughts are coming from. You just have to bring thoughts into captivity and submit them to Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Philippians 3:3-4
- We believe the truth that we are crucified with Christ. So the flesh is identified with death. Yet, we cater to it and believe counter to that. We think if we can strengthen our hands, then we are in a position to be a help to God.