Text: Ephesians 6:15
The illustration of shoes that the Holy Spirit uses is very wise. Your feet are where you come in contact with the world everyday. And where you come in contact with the world everyday, your duty as a saint is to be prepared with the gospel of peace wherever you meet the world. You put shoes on daily, so this is very practical.
What the gospel of peace is
- Ephesians 2:13-18
- Fully a flesh and blood man.
- If Jesus Christ is just an idea, just a spirit, just an example, just a good teacher and that’s all he is, then there is no peace with God and man is in his sin.
- The gospel of peace is Jesus Christ’s blood replaces your blood, and that Jesus Christ’s flesh replaces your flesh, and that Jesus Christ’s life in flesh and blood becomes your life so that God is able to reckon you justified and put His holy spirit in you that you might bear fruit and participate in eternal life.
- Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
- John 20:19-23 describes the gospel of peace
- Jesus Christ made peace with God possible (John 20:19, 21)
- Peace with God resulted from a man living out holiness without a single sin in flesh and blood. And thus representing all mankind before God. (John 20:20)
- God’s people are commissioned with gospel shoes. Share the same message Jesus Christ brought from heaven. (John 20:21)
- Equipped with the Holy Ghost (John 20:22) So this is a spiritual work, not a personality trait. Let me ask you, did the disciples have different personalities? Sure. Some talked more than others. Some were more observant than others. Some were quieter than others. You get the idea.
- Message is clear about remission of sins being available to all men now (John 20:23)
- See this being understood by Peter in Acts 10:34-43.
- Romans 5:1 describes peace with God as being justified and the remission of sins.
- Peace with God is not necessarily peace with your husband or wife. I say that because sometimes people will pray a prayer in hopes that it will fix their marriage. Or it will fix a friendship.
Responsibility is the message
- 1 Corinthians 15:34 …speak to your shame…
- Our responsibility isn’t to be accepted
- Fear of rejection in Romans 10:15-17.
- Jesus Christ was willing to be rejected for people who would never love him, never accept him, and at best, people who are sinners.
- Now that says something about you and I if we won’t put our own pride on the line for someone who is holy, and who sacrificed his own life for you.
- Our responsibility isn’t to have all the arguments
- Fear of not knowing what to say
- The more you wear your shoes the more comfortable they get. You break them in. So part of this fear comes with just being a minister of reconciliation on a regular basis.
- Ephesians 6:18-20
- The other side of that is you’re not suppose to be arguing; Titus 3:9-11. Reasoning is one thing, but nothing in that list has to do with reasoning.
- Being an ambassador is not a personality issue
- 2 Corinthians 5:17-20. Technically, biblically, you’re not a witness and you’re never called a witness since you’ve never seen Jesus Christ and you didn’t see him raise from the dead. Technically, you are an ambassador whose been given the word of reconciliation otherwise known as the gospel of peace. You’re an ambassador carrying the message of peace from another place.
- The physical place we meet is more like an embassy for the kingdom of God.
Be prepared with the gospel of peace
- So you and I are suppose to put on the gospel of peace like we put on our shoes.
- What’s interesting is this is part of the armor of God.
- So being prepared with the gospel of peace is part of your spiritual warfare.
- If it is armor, then it is also part of your defense. If I’m prepared with the gospel of peace, then I’ll make decisions with that in mind. Maybe avoid certain things and apply myself to others. What happened to David when he stayed out of the battle? He just got in trouble.