Text: Philippians 1:27-30
- …let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel…
- Conversation is what you might call “lifestyle” or behavior.
- Consider how Paul used the word. Paul said in Galatians 1:13-14, For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it: And profited in the Jew’s religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
- Philippians 3:3-7 Paul could’ve had confidence in the flesh more than any other, but he counted his life before Christ as nothing but loss.
- Gospel life is literally a new life
- Gospel is more than a prayer so you can stop feeling guilty about how much you dislike what God said. The gospel is literally new life.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- Galatians 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
- So the new standard for the sinner saved by the gospel is to live life according to that gospel. Why? Because it is the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ that has given you a new life.
- Isn’t it a shock to find out your old life was actually death and that your life is ACTUALLY in Christ?! Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
- Ben was born, new life had come into our home. Now, if we went about our day to day routine ignoring that new life, that new baby, there would be so much wrong with that.
- Limited by this new life? In some ways, yes. But limited compared to what? You wouldn’t say I want to get rid of this baby and all memory of this baby in order to get my old life back.
- Does the new life have a cost to it? Yes. Is it worth the price? Definitely.
- Does that new life hinder your ability to be successful in this world? Yes.
- You’ll still do most everything you did before. Go to work, except now you’re working for this new child.
- 1 Corinthians 15:2, 10 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. … 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
- …I may hear of your affairs…
- Practice what you preach
- One of the worst things according to God are people who know God, but act like they don’t know God.
- Romans 2:17-24
- When lost people give reason to not believe in Jesus Christ, they generally site some professing Christian who lives as though God is a joke. They don’t talk about God being a joke, but they think YOUR God is a joke. Not rejecting God, but your version of God.
- 1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
- Titus 2:5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
- “Forgiven but not perfect” is not acceptable.
- Paul’s concern is for the gospel. And he understands people pretending to know Jesus Christ, but acting like he’s a joke do more harm to the gospel than anything else.
- 2 Corinthians 6:1, 3 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. … 3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
- …stand fast in one spirit…
- Everybody is moving in the direction of the gospel.
- Go, pray, give, encourage,
- Like team spirit. You’re either playing the game, rooting for the players, supporting the team with your money, wearing the T-shirt, keeping up with the stats.
- Ephesians 4:1-3 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
- Worthy of your vocation, but if someone isn’t doing their job? It makes it that much more difficult for those that are working. Some lazy teammate will begin to cause division without realizing it.
- Lowliness – Now, how does that team function when you have envy within the team?
- Meekness – How about selfishness?
- Forbearing one another in love
- These attributes are how you keep the main thing the main thing. And how you make sure you’re not getting in the way of the work that needs to be done.
- This church exists because of the gospel and for the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
- …with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel…
- Striving is 1. To make efforts; to use exertions; to endeavor with earnestness; to labor hard; applicable to exertions of body or mind. 2. To contend; to contest; to struggle in opposition to another; to be in contention or dispute; followed by against or with before the person or thing opposed; as, strive against temptation; strive for the truth. My spirit shall not always strive with man. 3. To oppose by contrariety of qualities. 4. To vie; to be comparable to; to emulate; to contend in excellence.
- Jude says earnestly contend for the faith
- Laboring together in the gospel will keep you from entanglements in the world and keep you from becoming trouble in the church.
- …And in nothing terrified by your adversaries…
- Persecution is evidence to the enemies that you’re wrong, but persecution to God’s servant is evidence to him that he’s right.
- Real view of your culture when you publicize the gospel.
- There is danger in making numbers the measure of church growth because the reality is, by and large, broad is the way that leadeth to destruction and there are many on that road. The reality is not many anywhere want the gospel when they find out exactly what the gospel is.