Mordecai is a type of Christ in over 40 instances in the book of Esther.
Chapter 1 The Fall
Chapter 2 Mordecai and the Son of God
In the second chapter of Esther, Mordecai is introduced and his role in Esther’s ascendency is described. While Esther gains favor with King Ahasuerus, a type of God the Father, her true identity will be kept a secret. The revelation of Esther’s identity will coincide with the glorious reign of peace in the kingdom. Mordecai will also ascend in influence in the palace and prove to be the savior of the kingdom.
- …a certain Jew… (2:5) – Mordecai is a certain Jew and the Lord Jesus Christ is a certain Jew. Matthew 1
- …carried away… (2:6) – Among those who were thrice carried away: from Jerusalem, with king of Judah, by Babylonian king. 1 Corinthians 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
- …whom Mordecai, when her father and mother were dead, took for his own daughter…(2:7) – Mordecai becomes a father to an orphan just like the Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- Esther had not showed her people nor her kindred (3:10) – Mordecai conceals Esther’s identity until the proper time like the Lord Jesus Christ (2:10)
- Concealing identity for a time and a purpose.
- 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- Adoption is not revealed to all yet – Romans 8:23-24 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. 24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
- NOTE: Mordecai’s identity will be revealed before Esther’s full identity is revealed. People knew Jesus Christ is the Son of God and resurrected in a glorified body before God’s people receive their glorified bodies. Her revelation is tied to her salvation.
- Mordecai walked everyday before the court…(2:11) Mordecai walks where Esther walks to associate himself with Esther. Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
- Esther did the commandment of Mordecai, like as when she was brought up with him…(2:20) – Because Esther obeys Mordecai she is:
- Prepared to be royalty
- Prepared for abundant life (Vashti wasn’t)
- Obtained favor of all
- And the thing was known to Mordecai…(2:22) – Mordecai’s care of the kingdom by foiling a conspiracy will lead to future glory (2:22). Hebrews 3:1-2 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
Chapter 3 Mordecai the Holy One
- But Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence. (3:2) – Mordecai will not bow to other gods. Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
- …said unto Mordecai, Why transgressest thou the king’s commandment? (3:3) – Mordecai is interrogated daily. Luke 11:53-54 And as he said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to urge him vehemently, and to provoke him to speak of many things: 54 Laying wait for him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, that they might accuse him.
- …wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews… even the people of Mordecai (3:6) – Haman will seek to destroy Mordecai’s people. Matthew 10:16-18 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; 18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
Chapter 4 Mordecai the prophet
- When Mordecai perceived all that was done… (4:1-3) – Mordecai humbles himself because of the curse. Death passed upon all men because all have sinned.
- Mordecai acquainted with grief (4:1) Mordecai rent his clothes
- Mordecai’s mourning apparel (4:1) And put on sackcloth with ashes
- Mordecai preached among the people (4:1) And went out into the midst of the city, and cried with a loud and bitter cry
- Mordecai would identify himself with those unable to enter the palace (4:2)
- Philippians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Mordecai the friend to cursed people.
- And Mordecai told him of all that had happened unto him… (4:4-9) Mordecai explains and reveals the curse.
- Failed attempt by Esther to dress up Mordecai (4:4).
- Peter rebukes the Lord for foretelling his death.
- None would understand the situation.
- Mordecai gives a written record of the curse (4:8)
- Mordecai charges Esther to pray and plead to remove the curse (4:8)
- Failed attempt by Esther to dress up Mordecai (4:4).
- Then Mordecai commanded to answer Esther… (4:10-14) – Mordecai tells Esther God will protect the nation of Israel, but the only way you’ll be protected as an individual is if you approach the king. Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- …and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day… (4:15-17) – Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Chapter 5 Mordecai the cursed
Notice that after Mordecai has identified himself with the cursed people – just like Jesus Christ becoming a man – Haman plans to kill Mordecai personally and immediately. Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
Chapter 6 Mordecai the Conqueror
Chapter 5:1 is on the third day and chapter 6:1 is that night. Mordecai is the resurrection and the life. Mordecai’s faithful service to the king has earned him honor (6:2-3). This will be like the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and will forever change the power of death and the wicked. John 12:31
- What honour and dignity hath been done to Mordecai for this? (6:1-3) – Mordecai has earned honor for his care of the King and the kingdom.
- …do even so to Mordecai the Jew… (6:4-9) – Mordecai is exalted. Isaiah 50:6-9 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. 7 For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed. 8 He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me. 9 Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up.
- The accuser comes near
- Mordecai’s royal apparel – Let the royal apparel be brought which the king useth to wear… (6:8)
- Mordecai rides on the king’s horse …and the horse that the king rideth upon… (6:8)
- Mordecai is given the crown …and the crown royal which is set upon his head… (6:8)
- Mordecai is revered publicly …and proclaim before him… (6:9)
- If Mordecai be of the seed of the Jews… (6:12-14) – Mordecai is the seed that will destroy the enemy. From this point on Haman falls and will never regain power over Mordecai. Notice Haman’s fall mentioned three times in verse 13. Psalm 112:2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
- 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
Chapter 7 Mordecai the Good Shepherd
Mordecai has caused the Queen to prevail over the Wicked one. Mordecai has guided this process to root out wickedness in the kingdom.
- …let my life be given me at my petition (7:1-4) – After Mordecai’s exaltation, Queen Esther asks for life and is given life. John 10:11, 18 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. … 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
- …Who is he and where is he, that durst presume in his heart… (7:5-6) – Wickedness is revealed in light of Mordecai’s exaltation and the Lord Jesus Christ’s resurrection. Colossians 2:14-15 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
- So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared… (7:7-10) – The instrument of death for Mordecai turns out to be the instrument of death of the wicked one and his people. (7:7-10)
- Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
- Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Chapter 8 Mordecai the Mediator
- And the king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it unto Mordecai… (8:1-2) After the enemy is judged Mordecai is given authority and set over Haman’s house – Romans 5:17-19,21
- …how can I endure to see the destruction of my people? (8:3-6) – Intercession made on behalf of those under the curse. It sounds like Paul in Romans 9.
- …Write ye also for the Jews, as it liketh you, in the king’s name… (8:7-14) – The New Testament record.
- Romans 10:17 & 1 John 5:4
- And in every province, and in every city, withersoever the king’s commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness… (8:15-17)
- Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
- John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
- Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
- Ephesians 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
Chapter 9 Mordecai the Deliverer
This chapter is type of the great tribulation and the wrath of the Lamb in Revelation 6:16. Mordecai is about to become the chief power in Persia just like Jesus Christ becomes King of kings (Revelation 19).
- …in the twelfth month…on the thirteenth day…(9:1) – The New Year is about to begin.
- …Jews gathered themselves together… (9:2) – Matthew 24:31
- …because the fear of Mordecai fell upon them… (9:3) – Revelation 6:16
- …Mordecai was great in the king’s house… (9:4) – Revelation 5:11-12 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; 12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
- …and his fame went out throughout all the provinces: for this man Mordecai waxed greater and greater. (9:4) – Revelation 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
- The ten sons of Haman…(9:10,13) – Revelation 17:12-14 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. 13 These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. 14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
- …laid not their hands on the prey. (9:15-16) – They are not thieves who kill and loot. No need of spoil because the reward is with the King. Isaiah 40:10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
- 9:20-31 Mordecai memorializes the day of deliverance
- …the Jews rested from their enemies… (9:22) Sabbath – Hebrews 4:1-11
- ….turned unto them from sorrow to joy… (9:22) – John 16:20-22 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. 21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. 22 And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.
- …and upon their seed, and upon all such as joined themselves unto them, so as it should not fail… (9:26-28) The book of Esther is that memorial ordered by Mordecai to be preserved forever to all people.
Chapter 10 Mordecai the Prince of peace
This chapter is a type of the 1000 year reign of the Lord Jesus Christ in Revelation 20:1-6.
- …declaration and greatness of Mordecai goes throughout the world (10:2) – Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. Habakkuk 3:3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
- …the king advanced him (10:2) – this day have I begotten thee
- Mordecai the Jew was next unto king Ahasuerus (10:3) – Isaiah 9:6-7
- …accepted of the multitude of his brethren (10:3) –
- …seeking the wealth of his people (10:3) –
- …speaking peace to all his seed (10:3)