Text: Philippians 2:14-16
The subject of these verses is holding forth the word of life. Paul explains why to hold forth the word of life, he explains what you’re doing when you’re not holding forth the word of life, and he explains the consequences of holding forth other types of communication.
Do all things without… (vs 14)
- Do all things, so that is a very comprehensive, all encompassing instruction. You might also say it this way, if all things are to be done without murmuring and disputing then there is not a time murmuring and disputings are acceptable forms of communication.
- Uttering complaints in a low voice or sullen manner; grumbling; complaining.
- Murmured about no water for their families, flocks, herds for 3 days
- Exodus 15:22-25 …And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink?… Answer was a tree that made the bitter water sweet. Then they continued to the waters of Elim.
- Murmured about not having food for their families, flocks, herd.
- Exodus 16:2,7-9,12 And the whole congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness: … 7 And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of the LORD; for that he heareth your murmurings against the LORD: and what are we, that ye murmur against us? 8 And Moses said, This shall be, when the LORD shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that the LORD heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: and what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against the LORD. 9 And Moses spake unto Aaron, Say unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, Come near before the LORD: for he hath heard your murmurings. … 12 I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God.
- Murmured about no water in Rephidim
- Exodus 17:2-3,7
- Blame God; murmuring is the opposite of thankfulness.
- Murmured about the promised land
- Numbers 14:2-4,27,29,36 And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness! … 27 How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me…. 29 Your carcases shall fall in this wilderness; and all that were numbered of you, according to your whole number, from twenty years old and upward, which have murmured against me,… 36 And the men, which Moses sent to search the land, who returned, and made all the congregation to murmur against him, by bringing up a slander upon the land,
- Notice verse 28, God gives them what they murmur about!
- Murmuring of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram
- Numbers 16:9-11, 41 …11 For which cause both thou and all thy company are gathered together against the LORD: and what is Aaron, that ye murmur against him? … But on the morrow all the congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron, saying, Ye have killed the people of the LORD.
- The earth swallows up the rebels, but then the people murmur more blaming Moses for their deaths. So God sends a plague to destroy the people and Aaron hurriedly offers and atonement for the people before they are consumed (Numbers 16:44-49)
- The act of contending by words or arguments; controversy; altercation.
- Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
That ye may be… (vs 15)
- 1 Corinthians 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Millions of people hungry and thirsty with families in tow, and animals and God said their murmuring made Him so mad He destroyed some of them. Now you and I have murmured about MUCH LESS than that.
- Use your mouth to tear down what God is trying to build.
- Even if things are true, they don’t have to be spread.
- Sons of God
- Without rebuke
- Lights in a crooked and perverse nation
Holding forth the word of life… (vs 16)
- Holding forth is the opposite of hiding it behind you. You put it out there front and center.
- If you’re going to murmur, complain, and argue with the truth, you’re not going to hold forth the word of life.
- Notice this type of person doesn’t consent to wholesome words; 1 Timothy 6:3-5 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
- Yields rewards
- It is the pursuit of Paul’s labor