Text: Philippians 3:8-11
- You’re seeing the negative side of righteousness.
- Counting loss
- …count all things but loss…
- Lost and found in verses 8-9
- Paul can’t continue in his religion and in his life the way he is living and know Jesus Christ at the same time.
- Casting down imaginations
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- Knowing Jesus Christ is based on trusting Jesus Christ
- Hosea 4:1, 6 knowledge of God through the scriptures
- Excels in righteousness
- …know him… (vs 10)
- Biblical Christianity is the only belief “system” that revolves around people getting to know the main figure more and more.
- In Islam, Mohammed is the prophet and you can’t speak negatively about Mohammed. But Islam has nothing to do with getting to know Mohammed better.
- Jesus Christ said take my yoke upon you, and learn of me.
- Christ is the measure of all things God will approve
- Jesus Christ is God’s righteousness
- Excels beyond the grave
- …power of his resurrection…
- Resurrection and the life
- Mortal must put on immortality, corruptible must put on incorruption
- Ability to put down the flesh without doing harm to my life. Not forced to trust in my physical well being anymore.
- Excels beyond the need to satisfy the flesh
- Knowing the Lord Jesus Christ is not a question of what are we going to eat and drink. Notice the contrast in verses 18-19.
- Matthew 6:31-34 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
- Excels beyond earthly things
- Notice again the contrast in verses 19-20
- This is how you experience eternal life, abundant life as he calls it in John. John 10:10 …I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
- John 17:3, 2 Peter 1:2-5