Text: Philippians 3:12-16
The thing that keeps you physically separated from the Lord is your flesh. The changing of this vile body to be fashioned like his glorious body is the adoption: Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. This corruptible must put on incorruption. This mortal must put on immortality; to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord; no flesh should glory in his presence. 1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit. Paul is not working for redemption, but he is working toward redemption.
Redemption is the purpose of Jesus Christ (vs 12)
- Apprehend is the perfect word and here’s why. When someone is apprehended it is with a view toward a trial. They are taken into custody until the trial.
- John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
- Paul wants to be moving in the same direction the Lord is moving, be in the will of God
- Ephesians 4:11-16 the Lord’s work, 17-18, 21-24
Redemption is Paul’s direction (vs 13)
- The things Paul mentioned earlier in the chapter came between he and the Lord’s redemptive work because Paul trusted in these things as his righteousness.
- Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
- Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
- Forgetting those things which are behind
- A Christian is to forget what’s behind, and if they don’t there will be consequences
- Go back to the old ways because they’re familiar
- Go back to the old crowd because it’s familiar
- Hold on to old ways an it affects their thinking, emotions, stability
- Reaching forth unto those things which are before
- Forgetting isn’t all there is to it, the other part is reaching forth
Redemption is the prize (vs 14)
- Remember back in verse 8 where Paul counted everything loss in order to win Christ?
- The high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Just imagine the Lord calling saying, “Christian, this way.”
- Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
- Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
- 2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
- 2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
Redeemed and perfection (vs 15)
- Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.
- Vs 15 You say, “I’m not perfect,” as the excuse to quit making any effort toward holiness.
- Another way you know this is God’s calling and will for anyone who is a Christian that God will reveal this to you.
Redemption and personal deception (vs 16)
- Don’t let the flesh change the rules on you
- If you truly trusted Jesus Christ, you said at one point he is the only way, he is the only hope, he is the only one I can count on. Then you got up and went to trusting the old man, the old nature again. Don’t change the rules.
Now, you know what people who claim to be Christians want to know: how do I live my own life on my own terms and be saved at the same time? You read about the judgment of disobedient and saved people serving God with their lives under persecution. You know what the Holy Spirit doesn’t tell you much about, he doesn’t tell you much about how someone professing Jesus Christ can live somewhere in the middle.