Text: Psalm 42-43
David encouraged himself in the Lord the Bible says. In this psalm there is one man talking in two voices. On the one hand David is completely discouraged and on the other he finds hope in the Lord. You’ll notice the chorus of the song in verses 5, 11, and 43:5.
Appetite for the Lord (vss 1-6)
- You are what you eat. It becomes a part of you.
- Body gets hungry, thirsty, seeks comfort, and rest. And the soul is the same way. Your soul has a desire to be clothed, to be fed, to have rest, but it’s not fed and clothed with the same things the body is.
- John 4:10-14
- John 7:37-39 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
- Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
- In verse 4 David wonders if his exile from the house of God is permanent
Answer from the Lord (vss 7-11)
- The Lord will command his lovingkindness in the day
- He giveth a song in the night
- Psalm 77:6 I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
- Isaiah 30:29 Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe to come into the mountain of the LORD, to the mighty One of Israel.
Advocacy of the Lord (43:1-5)
- Jesus Christ the advocate in 1 John 2:1-2. Now if the Lord is willing to advocate for you when you’ve sinned, how much more do you think he’s willing to advocate when injustice is put on his people.
- Let the advocate avenge
- Plead my cause… (vs 1)
- David knew something about God pleading his cause when he faced Goliath.
- Power of the advocate
- The advocate may be willing to help, but he isn’t able to help then you don’t have help.
- The way the advocate will help here is in verse 3: send out thy light and thy truth.
- Willingness of the advocate