Text: Psalm 45
The title of this psalm is a love song: A Song of loves it says. Notice the love is plural so it is loves: the love of a groom and the love of a bride. This is the marriage of heaven and earth: thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven, and Jesus Christ is going to make that happen at his second coming.
Sacrificial love (vss 1-2, 10-11)
- Jesus Christ provides the body from which the bride is taken
- There is not a bride without a husband’s body, like Eve out of Adam
- John 1:14-18
- Ephesians 5:30-32
- Colossians 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church:
- Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Victorious love (vss 3-6)
- Jesus Christ comes again to give his bride a place to live
- Revelation 19
- John 14:1-3
- Psalm 19:5; the sun is as the bridegroom coming out of his chambers. As the sun rules the day, so Jesus Christ will come in glory and rule.
- Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
Right love (vss 7-8)
- Jesus Christ loves righteousness
- Groom is anointed by God because of his affections. Verse 8 describes the spices in the anointing oil from Exodus 30:22-26
- Bride will have mutual interest in righteousness: Hosea 2:19-23 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD.
Provisional love (vss 13-15)
- Jesus Christ will clothe his bride
- Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Love and marriage (vss 16-17)
- Jesus Christ will give his bride inheritance of the earth.
- Revelation 19:9
- Psalm 37:9, 11, 22 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth. … 11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. … 22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.