Text: Colossians 1:3
Recipient of the gratitude
- “Thank you” is directed to someone. Directed to God the Father.
- Paul says we give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Father is the gift giver
- James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Father’s generosity. Notice the gift giving of the Father in these verses.
- Genesis 28:4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham.
- 1 Kings 4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
- Daniel 1:17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
- Daniel 5:18 O thou king, the most high God gave Nebuchadnezzar thy father a kingdom, and majesty, and glory, and honour:
- John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
- John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
- John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
- Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:(Gift is grace: Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.)
- John 14:31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.
- 1 John 4:14-15 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world. 15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
- Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
God the Father’s will is that people would enter his courts with thanksgiving
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
- Psalms 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
- So this is the will of God that he would produce a grateful people because of what He’s done for them
- Gifts can be neglected
- 1 Timothy 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
- Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation…
- Psalm 69:30-31 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving. This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs.
- People who are grateful appreciate the gifts because they understand the value.
- People who will be grateful know they are needy, know the Lord to supply the need, and willingly received the Lord’s help. Grateful people are closely acquainted to the Lord by his gifts.
- Solomon knows he doesn’t know what he’s doing as king. He’s aware of his own need when it comes to serving God. He’s also aware that God the Father is the supplier of wisdom. He asks the Lord and is given wisdom by God which makes him grateful to God for God’s grace.
- Daniel, same thing.