Text: Colossians 1:3
Grace is favor
- Esther 2:17 And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; so that he set the royal crown upon her head, and made her queen instead of Vashti.
- Let me ask you, was this grace unmerited favour or did Esther meet some qualifications of the king that other prospects didn’t meet?
- God’s favour is where life is – Psalm 30:5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life
- You know why your relationship with the Lord is so important? Because if God’s favour is not on the activities of your life, you’re wasting your time with vanity.
- You’re just tying strings onto a corpse to give the appearance of life where no life is. His favour is life!
- Noah finds grace in Genesis 6:8
- Noah was favored by God. Were there people around in Noah’s day that did not find grace in the sight of the Lord? Yes. What is the difference between them and Noah? Difference is Noah is looking for grace (Genesis 6:9) and no one else is.
- “Unmerited favour” is the Calvinist definition of grace, but Noah found grace when others didn’t.
- Grace is given to Moses in the giving of the law in Exodus 33:12-19
Grace is God’s supply
- Grace is God’s favour shown in his supply of a need: 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Grace is God’s supple to live God’s life 1 Corinthians 15:10
- God provides grace for the purpose of obedience
- Romans 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
- Beeville, Kenedy, need someone full of the grace of God to show them what obedience to God looks like.
- Professing Christians don’t preach the gospel where they work, OBEDIENT people do. Professing Christians don’t spread the gospel, OBEDIENT people do.
Grace is put into action through faith
- Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
- By grace through faith, not by Irresistible Grace, but by grace through faith in Ephesians 2:8.
- Back to the application of Noah. Grace made provision for Noah. Noah’s faith is what put that grace to work in favor of Noah.
- Hebrews 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
- It may not be earned, but someone can hinder God’s grace
- Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
- Grace versus Works as it pertains to salvation simply means you’re not going to put God into your debt by obeying the parts of the law you think are important.
- We’ve come to the idea that God’s grace is a blind eye to sin or just ignoring sin altogether
- Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Titus 2:11-14 says just the opposite.
Grow in grace
- 2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
- The law came by Moses but grace came by Jesus Christ. Learn of him by obedience to the Holy Spirit of God.
- 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.