Text: Psalm 48
Once again you have in the Psalm a storyline that follows God’s history. In Psalm 42-43 you have God’s people in a state of confusion wondering where God is. In Psalm 44 you have great tribulation such that the faithful ones are falling. In Psalm 45 you have the return of the bridegroom and the marriage of heaven and earth. In Psalm 46 you have the presence of God the refuge. In Psalm 47 God as King over all the earth, ruling over all the earth. An now in Psalm 48 is the city of God – Zion. 2 Samuel 5:7 Nevertheless David took the strong hold of Zion: the same is the city of David.
Jesus Christ enters Jerusalem (vss 1-3)
- …joy of the whole earth…
- We think of the Millennial reign of the Lord Jesus Christ as the end of everything, but what the Bible says is that the Millennial reign is the final part of his ministry to deliver all kingdoms to his Father.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
- Revelation 20 – Jesus Christ ministry of rule as King for 1000 years on this earth.
- Matthew 25:31-34 …the King… gather the nations…
- Followed by his subduing of Death and Hell
- 1 Peter 3:22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
- He is known as a refuge there in the palaces, so the people living in the palaces around Jerusalem at the time of the Lord Jesus Christ’s return have known this King who is God to be a refuge to them.
Those kings who don’t know the Lord (vss 4-8)
- They are fearful
- Jesus Christ controls the weather.
- Faith becomes sight
- Hope is no longer hoped for, it’s here.
- However faith is not done away with here just because Jesus Christ is King. Faith cometh by hearing, not seeing. While Jesus Christ was here the first time and people saw him, he still recognized their faith and their faithlessness. Though they all saw the same things, faith ultimately has to do with the words of God and what you believe about them.
Passing on the glory of God to the next generation (vss 9-14)
- Righteousness and fame throughout the earth
- Consider how she’s guarded
- Consider the bulwarks, the defenses (Isaiah 26)
- Consider the palaces, talk about them. Christianity is going in a direction. It’s more than stay clean from the world, it is stay clean from the world so your future will be enjoyable.
- Guide unto death and then he will destroy death.
- He will guide if you let him. Give me direction Lord! Followed by, “Don’t tell me what to do Lord!”