Paul is grateful after hearing of the Colossians faith, love, and hope. It’s the trinity of faith, hope, and love that show up in a few places in your Bible. 1 Corinthians Paul says faith, hope, and charity and the greatest of these is charity. In 1Thessalonaians 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. But we will just deal with the faith aspect tonight.
Colossian faith was tangible
- Their faith made a sound
- faith is the substance of things hoped for…
- Faith is evidence of things not seen… (like having the flu, a bug you can’t see, but the evidence is all there)
- Then Paul goes on to describe the substance and evidence in people’s lives all through Hebrews 11.
- Their faith was observable and knowable
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Faith isn’t hearing the words of God. Hearing is just the basis for faith that pleases God.
- What are the tangible aspects of faith?
- 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Overcome sin now.
It was faith in Christ Jesus
- Acts 24:24-25 And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. 25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. All these things describe faith. Bible knowledge without righteousness (mouth, eyes, ears, walk) is only good to puff you up. It doesn’t please God. You understand why Felix trembled? Because he understood faith in Christ was a condemnation of his current lifestyle.
- Colossians 2:5-7 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
It was faith that produced gratitude in Paul
- Maybe it’s time to consider what a walk by faith looks like for others. It’s encouraging to see someone get victory over sin! It’s encouraging to see someone boldly preaching Jesus Christ, unless you’re envious of them.