Text: Matthew 7:7-12
Generosity of the Father
- These verses are a great comfort because they describe the character of God the Father. He treats men the way He would want to be treated if he were in their shoes.
- God the Father gives His gifts freely to those who ask, seek, and knock.
- James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- Genesis 28:4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham.
- 1 Kings 4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.
- Daniel 1:17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
- John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
- 1 Corinthians 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Gift is grace: Ephesians 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.)
- Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Gifts of God
- Spirit of God – Ask and IT shall be given you, so what is the IT? Seek and ye shall find, find what? Knock and IT shall be opened unto you, what is the IT that will be opened? These good things are defined in Luke 11:9-13.
- Son of God sent first – Romans 5:15-18, 6:23
- Then the Son sends the Spirit of God – John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
- These are spiritual gifts
- Then the Spirit of God is poured out upon men – Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Ephesians 4:8, 12-13).
- Romans 12:5-8 – A believer’s connection to the body of Christ is through the gifts God the Father has given and that soul has received, starting with the gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ. And just like the body, the nose is connected a certain way based on the function it performs. So a believer is connected to the body of Christ through the gracious abilities from the Father.
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-12 -The gifts of the Spirit are for the edification of the body of Christ. They work outside of you to profit withal (1 Corinthians 12:7) as Paul says. There are no gifts that magnify the member.
- The nose is not better than the ears. The eyes are not better than the hands. “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” Individual parts aren’t valuable or useful until they function together.
- You’re a part of a bigger picture in Christ, a part of something bigger than you.
The “Golden Rule” (vs 12)
- God the Father freely gives these gifts to man, no charge, just ask, no fee (Acts 8:20 Simon rebuked for thinking the gift of God could be purchased), just seek, no monthly payment plan, just knock. They are all found in Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God given by the Father.
- This is the “Golden Rule”
- So exercising charity with these spiritual gifts is how a generous heavenly Father has done it. Freely ye have received, freely give.
- Romans 12:10-21 – on the heels of describing the gifts of the spirit and body of Christ Paul also leads into charity. Same order Jesus Christ just gave.
- 1 Corinthians 12:31 – on the heels of describing the gifts of the spirit and body of Christ Paul also leads into charity (1 Corinthians 13). Same order Jesus Christ just gave.
- Ephesians 4:8, 11-16 – on the heels of describing the gifts of the spirit and body of Christ Paul also leads into charity. Same order Jesus Christ just gave.
- 1 Peter 4:8-11 – Peter says the same thing the Lord Jesus Christ says and Paul has said.
- The “Golden Rule” in verse 12 is an instruction based on the character of God the Father. Notice the whole context of this “Golden Rule” is based on a generous heavenly Father. Verses 7-11 aren’t talking about you doing good to obtain salvation, but about God the Father being good and giving good gifts to men, therefore you’ve received them freely, freely give.