Text: Colossians 1:9-10
First appearance in Genesis 6:11 that the earth was filled with violence. Now that’s a far cry from the earth being filled with the glory of God, which was the initial purpose of God’s creation.
The body is a house
- God uses the phrase “filled with” several times when speaking of your body: filled with wrath, filled with pride, filled with the spirit of wisdom, filled with contempt, filled with jealousy, filled with joy.
- Matthew 12:43-45 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
- Like flies and bugs aren’t attracted to desert places, they like food, water, and light.
- It’s the desire of God to fill the house He has purchased
- When you purchase a home you want to fill that home with things you like.
- Paul said we desire that you Colossians would be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. Paul’s desire was the same as God’s desire for the Colossians. And that’s a normal desire for God to want to fill what He’s purchased.
- Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
Residing in the house is different than filling the house
- You may reside in a home that is not yours and the owner still lives in the house. In that case, you aren’t able to fill the house because someone else is in possession of it.
- That’s the case with the Holy Spirit in some people’s lives. He occupies the body, but that soul still believes their body is their own.
- Being filled is not a suggestion for some people who go to church. Being filled with the Spirit of God is a commandment describing the only way to live. Ephesians 5:18 Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess; but be ye filled with the Spirit
Fill the house with the knowledge of the will of God
- With that introduction, let’s see the text. Paul says exactly what the will of God is for the Colossians and for every saved soul. That is to be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.
- While you may fill your home with furniture, clothing, pictures, electronics, food, the Lord says to fill your body with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.
- Something God wants in your “house” is the knowledge of his will.
- So God’s will is not a mystery.
- In fact, most people know at least some of the will of God, but they don’t recognize it as the will of God. When a drunk gets told about God forbidding drunkenness they know the will of God. They’re just unwilling to recognize it as the will of God. So the will of God gets thrown out in the trash to make room for the liquor cabinet in the house.
- Romans 1:28-32 … being filled with…
- filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. A house may be filled, but the contents aren’t arranged right. It may be boxes everywhere, so the contents within the house are right but they aren’t in their place. Before you start throwing things out that you know are the will of God, you either need to find a place for the will of God or make a place for God’s will.
- God’s will is your sanctification.
- God’s will is that you abstain from fornication.
- Yes, but if we live together it works out better financially. So you’ll put money in place of God’s will? Do you understand that you can benefit financially oftentimes by disobeying God?
- God’s will is that you get saved.
- God’s will is that you’d give thanks in Christ Jesus.
Affects of the filling
- Ephesians 5:18
- What you’re filled with affects what comes out of your mouth
- The result of being filled with the Spirit of God is that your mouth will open up about the Lord Jesus Christ. Bold speaking and preaching about the Lord Jesus Christ is one aspect of this filling, Acts 2:4, 4:8, 4:31, 9:17, 20,27, 13:52 – 14:3
- When a person is filled with the Holy Spirit like the command says in Ephesians, Be filled, that Christian will talk boldly about the Lord Jesus Christ. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
- Jesus Christ said that when the Holy Spirit comes he will not speak of himself, but he will glorify Jesus Christ. John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
- What you’re filled with affects how you walk
- What you’re filled with affects your boldness
- What you’re filled with affects your judgment