It was personal
It served as a reminder
- A way for Abraham to remember God’s covenant with him
- God didn’t need to remember it
- John 14:26
It would not be undone
It was a seal of imputed righteousness
- 2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
- Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
- Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
It was the sign of God’s relationship
- Genesis 17 – Abraham laughs in verse 17
- God warns Abraham in Genesis 18 and chose to listen to his prayer
- Abraham leaves God’s will in Genesis 20 and creates a problem with Abimelech. But God warns Abimelech and again chooses to listen to Abraham’s prayer.
- Colossians 2:11-12