Text: Job 32
Now we’re introduced to Elihu. Elihu is the author of this book for three reasons. 1) He speaks often in the first person 2) his name is left out at the end of the book when God condemns Job’s three accusers 3) and his arguments magnify the righteousness of God.
Elihu justifies God (vss 1-3)
- Elihu is Job’s answer to prayer. Elihu will speak for God. Elihu will be a help to Job, an advocate of God, and a voice against Job’s accusers.
- Elihu’s frustration is shown in his wrath kindled in verses in 2, 3, 5. It means he’s stirred up about what he’s listened to.
- Elihu is angry at Job’s accusers because they are accusers without any charge against Job, yet they continue to bombard Job with threats.
- But Elihu’s anger with Job seems to be much different. Elihu, like God, was rooting for Job to make it through the trial. His only disappointment is that Job finally cracked. So Elihu’s answer to the accusers will be different than it is to Job.
Elihu hates a false witness (vss 4-5)
- These men condemned Job without charging him with anything.
- The spirit of Satan is to bring condemnation without a charge. It is guilt without a crime.
- I’ll make a quick application here. Romans 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth. If the Judge says you’re not guilty, and the prosecutor says, But what about this? the only opinion that counts is the Judges opinion.
Elihu knows understanding comes from God (vss 6-10)
- Elihu has been respectful and listened to this conversation against Job, but would not interrupt out of respect.
- Days should speak, meaning man’s age should be an indicator of his wisdom, but unfortunately in this case it isn’t.
- Inspiration is understanding
- All scripture is given by inspiration of God. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- All understanding comes from God
- Job’s 3 accusers are not stupid
- Job’s 3 accusers are older and have a great deal of experience
- Job’s 3 accusers have the same set of information Job has
- But Job’s 3 accusers have no understanding. So facts are not understanding. They all have the same facts. Experience is not understanding. They all have a wealth of experience in life. Intelligence is not understanding. They all have a good deal of intelligence.
- Deuteronomy 32:29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!
Elihu is a wise young man (vss 11-17)
- He waited
- Proverbs 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.
- He listened
- He attended
Elihu is full of the spirit of God (vss 18-20)
- He wants Job to have an answer. Elihu is like the Comforter, the Holy Spirit of God.
- Spirit filling leads to communication – Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
Elihu is no respecter of persons (vss 21-22)
- Elihu is going to say some things to very wealthy men and Job, who had been the wealthiest of men in that area. And the things Elihu is going to say may not be pleasant for either side to hear.
- Elihu will not pervert judgment because of what someone can do for him.
- Elihu will not flatter for favors from men who may be able to benefit him.