Text: Colossians 1:12
God the Father makes sinners meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light. To make sinners meet is to make them compatible; to give sinners the ability to take part in the inheritance God has. Now, that implies that you and I do not have the ability to enjoy and take part in the inheritance until God the Father changes you. And it’s those changes that God the Father makes that Paul is grateful for.
Inheritance cannot be given to the unrighteous
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- The inheritance is not given to sinners.
- Father offers forgiveness to sinners
- 1 Corinthians 6:11
- Washed – Father offers a clean spirit (washing of water by the word of God)
- Justified – Romans 4:5-8, 5:1-2, 8-10
Inheritance is incorruptible
- 1 Peter 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away…
- The inheritance is incorruptible, but you’re corruptible.
- The inheritance is undefiled, but you’re defiled.
- The inheritance fadeth not away, but you’ll fade away.
- Father offers an incorruptible body to enjoy an incorruptible inheritance
- 1 Corinthians 15:50-57… Thanks be to God…
Inheritance is eternal
- Hebrews 9:11-15 …eternal inheritance.
- The inheritance is eternal, but you are not.
- Father offers eternal life to enjoy an eternal inheritance
- John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Giving thanks unto the Father for offering eternal life.
Inheritance is given to Jesus Christ from the Father
- Matthew 21:38 But when the husbandmen saw the son, they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and let us seize on his inheritance.
- Hebrews 1:3-4 – Jesus Christ secured the inheritance.
- Romans 8:12-17