Text: Colossians 1:16
One of the themes of the book of Colossians is the preeminence of Jesus Christ. He is preeminent among the children of God, preeminent in forgiveness, preeminent in fullness, preeminent as the Head of the church, and many other areas. In the verse we’ll look at tonight, the Lord Jesus Christ is preeminent in creation because he is the Creator.
Christ the Creator
- That little word “by” in verse 16 will put the Lord Jesus Christ in his proper place. “By” describes the instrument used or mode used to accomplish the work. How did you get here? We came BY car. How did he pay off that debt? By working. How are you getting home tonight? By driving. The word “by” answers the question of how the task was accomplished.
- The verse is self explanatory, the Lord Jesus Christ is the instrument of creation. Everything created was created by Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the creator, architect, and source of all life.
- Man does not create, but he was made a steward of creation.
- Man didn’t create electricity, but he’s harnessed electricity. He didn’t create water, he’s harnessed it for use. Man has to start with something. He is not a creator, he is a steward.
- This is true physically and spiritually. You didn’t create your soul, but you are responsible for it. You didn’t create any spirit, but you’re told to rule your own spirit.
- John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Christ the (Re)creator
- Sin entered the world, not the earth, but the world – humanity.
- John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. The world – humanity – was corrupted by a cherub that became full of himself.
- Ezekiel 28:12-17
- Satan forgot his Creator because of pride. But his unclean spirit would serve as the blueprint for the world that would also forget their Creator.
- 1 John 2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
- The Lord Jesus Christ came into His creation to create a new man – new creature.
- John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
- John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
- John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
- Remember the verse, nothing is created without Jesus Christ. That will include what Jesus Christ REcreates.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- Galatians 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. If it’s old it’s in Adam and in the world and headed for judgment by the Creator.
- Not only does the Creator make a way to escape judgment and enjoy his creation, He also shows humanity how to properly use the body, mind, and soul he created
- Ephesians 3:8-12 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; 9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, 11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: 12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
- Ephesians 4:21-24
- (author and finisher of our faith) – word of God makes the new creature
- 1 John 1:1-3 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
All things are created by the word of God
- from Genesis 1 to Revelation. Mankind would be recreated by the word of God as well. Faith is necessary because nothing is created apart from the word of God.
- In heaven – angels, cherubim, New Jerusalem. I go to prepare a place for you… Jesus Christ is the Creator of all things.
- Revelation 19:11-14 and 21:5-6